Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Thanks!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,460

    Thanks!

    To all that have served and are serving.

    Our son Greg is on U.S.S. Nimitz. We found a pic of him on the Nimitz FB page that was taken yesterday. This was as they manned the rails passing under the Golden Gate bridge for it's 75th Anniversary of it's opening. We're very proud of him.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg_USSNimitz_SF_GoldenGate_75th_Anniversary_sm.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	67654
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,363
    That must have been a nice little surprise Darren!

    Just to pile on, I'd also like to thank everyone who is, or has, served our country. Without you and your service, we would not be the country we are today.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  3. #3
    You have every right to be proud of him Darren!

    Today I remember and honor all my brothers and sisters in arms who paid the ultimate price in the service of our country. In my heart and mind especially are the 58,000+ of my generation who died as a result of that most unpopular war. You are not forgotten.
    Ken
    ------



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That must have been a nice little surprise Darren!

    Just to pile on, I'd also like to thank everyone who is, or has, served our country. Without you and your service, we would not be the country we are today.
    +1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You have every right to be proud of him Darren!

    Today I remember and honor all my brothers and sisters in arms who paid the ultimate price in the service of our country. In my heart and mind especially are the 58,000+ of my generation who died as a result of that most unpopular war. You are not forgotten.
    +1 to everything you said Fitz
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Posts
    4,944
    Another +1

    I am one of the very fortunate ones. I spent a few years in WWII. I never shot a gun except on a range. I never had anyone shoot at me. And, “yes” I have heard the bit about everyone who serves contributes. And, “yes” I have to agree with that.

    However, I think Memorial Day hits people like me a bit harder than most of those who did not serve or lose a relative. I was there. I worked with many who did not come back in one piece or at all. They are real people; most of them, good people. THEY ARE NOT JUST A STATISTIC!

    Remember them. Appreciate them.

    Younger people, learn about the reason they gave so much. If you knew them, you would not burn flags, wear swastikas, and do the other crazy things that some youth do because they are totally ignorant of what went on.

    Enjoy the world you have because of them.

    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That must have been a nice little surprise Darren!
    Oh believe me, it made our day, my wife's been chirpy all day long. The first pic was from behind, but knew it was him (middle of the pic). I had mentioned to Ken earlier, he also called my wife yesterday, which used to be like pulling teeth. Always joked about the day that the aliens returned him...seems they have.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg_USSNimitz_SF_GoldenGate_75th_Anniversary2sm.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	67664
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,363
    You know Jim, not many of us are lucky enough to know some one who was there in the WWII.

    I was lucky enough to get to know Sharon's dad who was.

    You Sir, are honestly a national treasure and for whatever little teeny tiny way I may know you, I am thankful of that.

    You did do you part, and I am glad to have you here to give us a little bit of your wisdom every now and then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Another +1

    I am one of the very fortunate ones. I spent a few years in WWII. I never shot a gun except on a range. I never had anyone shoot at me. And, “yes” I have heard the bit about everyone who serves contributes. And, “yes” I have to agree with that.

    However, I think Memorial Day hits people like me a bit harder than most of those who did not serve or lose a relative. I was there. I worked with many who did not come back in one piece or at all. They are real people; most of them, good people. THEY ARE NOT JUST A STATISTIC!

    Remember them. Appreciate them.

    Younger people, learn about the reason they gave so much. If you knew them, you would not burn flags, wear swastikas, and do the other crazy things that some youth do because they are totally ignorant of what went on.

    Enjoy the world you have because of them.

    JimB
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Posts
    4,944
    Thanks Brent!

    Enjoy,
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,604
    we're pretty darn proud of him too Darren
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •