Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Screen

Movie Screen

I picked up a digital projector this weekend, my wife has been wanting one for a while now and figured we'd use it with the photo booth events from time to time.

We decided to test it out on Saturday night by watching movies around the pool. So I picked up white muslin, a couple of cup hooks, and 1x3's. Using the Kreg jig I joined the boards to create the frame, then stretched and stapled the muslin over the frame. We hung the screen by cup hooks under the main beam supporting our deck.

I changed the projection setting to be from the rear and setup the projector, dvd player, and stereo on a rolling cart from behind. Worked really well, I think I'll be building a dedicated cart for the equipment for future outdoor movies. The screen measured at 8' x 5', but given the distance, we had about a 85" - 96" (diagonal) projection.

Will get some better pics of the screen when I get home, this was from the other night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	67670
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Very cool, Darren. How's the picture quality when projecting it through the muslin?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

What model did you get?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    What model did you get?
    That's what my question was, Been looking at them and the price really has come down.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

do yourself a favor.
    Look at sites like wallyworld and etc.........purchase an inflatable screen. takes 2 minutes to set up, comes in a bag, and you can take it anywhere where there is a plug, and it inflates in one minute.(I think my screen is 1o or 12 foot diagonal)
    I paid 169 I believe for mine couple of years back, from wallyworld online, and its the best thing Ive invested in along with the digital projector(I dont keep it here anymore, my son has it all at his home)
    Human Test Dummy

Also looking for the make and model of project. Actually plan to order one today. Pretty much made up my mind but more information is always good. Looking at the Casio LED/LCD models. Pricey but no fragile bulb and I need it to haul around. Also negates the need for a large flatscreen. Now I will also look at the inflatable screen. Thanks, Allen.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very cool, Darren. How's the picture quality when projecting it through the muslin?
    Very good actually. It's a pretty bright white muslin with a tight weave.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    What model did you get?
    The Epson 710HD. Had planned to get the EX7210 based on cost, but it was out of stock. I think the features are just about equal on both except the 710HD will connect to smart phones and macs. I really was surprised when I powered it down and it shut off right away. Apparently it's a different kind of bulb and doesn't require the cool-off period like most projectors. Bulb is suppose to be good for 4,000 to 5,000 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    do yourself a favor.
    Look at sites like wallyworld and etc.........purchase an inflatable screen.
    I was considering that, looks like a very nice setup. I assume it's front projection though. I really liked not having the equipment out where it was going to be in the way.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Carol, I didn't look at the casios, those do look like they'd hold up well, replacement bulb for mine will be $150 - $200, so probably worth the money if you're going to use it a lot.

I'll probably be getting a projection screen that goes on a tripod as we'll be using it at corporate and wedding events. The one I've been looking at is the epson duet: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Duet...142050&veh=cse

It compacts and folds down to a pretty small size and is only about 25 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTSwW7lJts
    Darren

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I need a portable unit also. I'll be doing a series of medicare educational classes and need to be able to take something in the back seat of my truck and set it up quickly. For a screen I'll just use the old one my father inlaw had for his super 8 movies.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

A couple of years ago, I got an InFocus for the church where I was at the time. We were very gentle with the projector but the bulb failed with less than 100 hours on it. Very disappointed, and now very leery. That is why I am looking at the LED Casio even though the cost will be significantly higher. Have to make a purchasing decision today. I need it for a class on June 7.

Question on sound, Darren. Is the sound from your computer adequate or have you added a separate sound system and if so, what did you get?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed