Crimson Fountain Pen

Travis White

I have shown this pen on some other forums so I hope you don't mind if this is the second time you have seen it. I just like it so much.

DSC06408.jpg

DSC06377.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Very nice! Since I'm just getting started...how does that type material turn? I'd think it would be hard on tools, but I know a lot of people use acrylic? and the results are very impressive!

I really like the pen, Travis. Excellent job on the photo, too.
Very nice! Since I'm just getting started...how does that type material turn? I'd think it would be hard on tools, but I know a lot of people use acrylic? and the results are very impressive!
Ed, I think you'll like turning acrylics. For me, the best part is that they are easy to finish. There is none. ;) Invest in the 9-grit assorted of Micro Mesh abrasive sheets, and you'll become a believer. When I first saw the prices for MM I balked a little bit, but now that I've used it I see it was money well spent.

Wow! very nice and this is my first time seeing it. :thumb: I've seen alot of acrylic blanks and hope to try them somday. Nice way to display it.

Joan

When it comes to synthetics for pen turning, I'm a dedicated hypocrite. :bonkers: Wazzatmean? :doh:
For me, penturning is an adjunct to my woodworking/turning hobby/avocation. I like wood and am continually fascinated by the great variety of natural beauty found in different woods.
I turn very few (total 3 to date) synthetic pens. And, I refuse to say anything nice about a great looking pen like yours. ;)
Actually, as you have shown, synthetics add a new dimension to the penturing craft. Well done. :thumb:

Hi Travis - Gorgeous pen! I have done many acrylic pens and this one of yours is a beauty! I am impressed at anyone who can use a skew, that is one tool I have still to master. I use a very sharp gouge and VEEEEEERRRY light passes to do mine.

How do you sand/polish your acrylics?

Ed - It turns better than antler and almost as good as corian, and there are different "grades" of acrylics... I have found that the Inlace Acrylesters from www.woodturningz.com are a bit softer and less brittle so they turn easier. As far as my sanding/polishing, if I happen to leave tool marks (and I do sometimes), I use 400 sandpaper and then go through the MM pads, not sheets. However, all of my sand/polish work is done "WET" with a plastic bag and towel on the ways of my lathe.

Mike

I really like the pen, Travis. Excellent job on the photo, too.

Ed, I think you'll like turning acrylics. For me, the best part is that they are easy to finish. There is none. ;) Invest in the 9-grit assorted of Micro Mesh abrasive sheets, and you'll become a believer. When I first saw the prices for MM I balked a little bit, but now that I've used it I see it was money well spent.

MM used wet does a fine job. DAMHIK :thumb:
But, oddly, the plastics are hard on the MM which is expensive stuff.
There are plastic sanding pads made specifically for this work.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=084-1000
They are also expensive also but last a very long time. Or so I'm told. ;)
Caution: do not use the two coarsest grades as they will scratch so deeply you might never get them out.

Hi Travis - Gorgeous pen! I have done many acrylic pens and this one of yours is a beauty! I am impressed at anyone who can use a skew, that is one tool I have still to master. I use a very sharp gouge and VEEEEEERRRY light passes to do mine.

How do you sand/polish your acrylics?

Ed - It turns better than antler and almost as good as corian, and there are different "grades" of acrylics... I have found that the Inlace Acrylesters from www.woodturningz.com are a bit softer and less brittle so they turn easier. As far as my sanding/polishing, if I happen to leave tool marks (and I do sometimes), I use 400 sandpaper and then go through the MM pads, not sheets. However, all of my sand/polish work is done "WET" with a plastic bag and towel on the ways of my lathe.

Mike

Thank y'all for the comments :)
I sand to 1200 with paper (wet paper) and then use wet MM to 12000. It makes them look outstanding!