Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: glue choices

glue choices

I am new to posting so hope I give all the info that you need.
    I have an antique horse drwn doctors buggy that was recently dropped and cracked three of the seat and driver supporting slats. they are cracked to look similar to a finger joint with jagged points. There are about a dozen total the are evenly spaced and run from the front to the back and support the seat and I guess it would be said are the flooring. The aren't exact but are roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide by 2 inches tall. I want to keep this as original as possible but still stable. I want to repair like a finger joint and was considering either titebond hide glue, polyurethane, or just found structural epoxy. Any advice to which would be better would be great. Three of the slats only are cracked not all.
    Thanks
    Steve

Steve,

I don't have much experience with anything other than titebond yellow 2 or Elmers wood glue, so will let some others chime in. Some pics of the damage may be helpful though.

Welcome to the family!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I will try to get some. not too good at figuring how to get them added

Question: are these pieces split along the grain or broken cross grain? If they are split with the grain, I think any waterproof glue would work. If they are load bearing and broken cross grain, I think the repair needs some sort of mechanical reinforcement. I don't think glue alone will provide a reliable repair.

here's some pics hope they come out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	67676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack4.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	67677

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	67678heres one more

Those look to be cross grain fractures. Glue is not your answer. You may want consider replacement of the broken pieces.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

If it were my project, since the boards are painted, I would not attempt a repair. The boards appear to have failed at a bolt hole which created a weak point and allowed a stess riser. I don't believe any glue joint without an ugly steel reinforcement would be stronger than the origional.

I would replace the broken boards with a tougher wood; Hickory, maybe.

I'd have to agree with Dennis and Carol now that I've seen the pics. Glue won't hold those types of breaks, new pieces will need to be milled.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately these pieces appear to be cut to size then i guess shape or bent not cut to the shape they are in and I am not equipped or knowledgeable enough to do that.