From the Archives

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I figured it's been over 6 months since I turned this set, so it's high time I finally posted a photo. Given a choice, I'd re-take the pictures I've got, but I'm here and the bowls are there, so that's not gonna happen for a while. This is mesquite, finished with BLO, then hit with spray lacquer and buffed after the BLO cured. If memory serves, the big one is about 16" across.

VM 1027 01 - 800.jpg

C&C are welcome as always. :wave:

Thanks for the compliments, guys. :thumb:L

...What is the Mesquite like to turn? Is it a brittle wood?

When it's wet, it's great stuff to turn. Dry, it turns nicely, but it's pretty hard stuff. I've not run into any brittleness issues. One thing I really like about mesquite is that it doesn't warp or crack much at all (if any) as it dries. :thumb:

...(hope you saved the chips for your grill!)

I've saved a bunch of mesquite shavings (maybe 35 gallons worth) and a pile of bigger chunks that were scrap after cutting blanks. (I picked up 1000+ pounds of mesquite a couple of years go). I think some of the pile of chunks has been tossed by my wife in an effort to clean the driveway...I'll know more once I get home to see what else she "cleaned up". :rolleyes: :bang:

...What else have you waited to post?

I've got a few other pieces that I photographed in a hurry right before I moved to ABQ. Unfortunately, most of the photos are pretty "meh", so I may wait until I get home to re-shoot them before posting them.

do you have the picture of the beginning blank vaughn,, this looks like a really different shape to get the irregular edges like this.

I don't have any "before" pics, but this was from a particularly wavy part of the trunk. The tree was a good 3 to 4 foot diameter at the base, and the surface of the trunk had a lot of whoop-de-dos in it. (That's a technical turning term, in case you were wondering.) :D

hey i understood that term its when you start talking spinny terms like core boring or vessel or nova chuck, that i get confused.. to me core boring is eating all of the apple, vessel is a ship and nova chuck must be a astronomical site????

Hey Larry, did you hear the one about Chuck boring an apple core vessel while driving his Nova? It was awesome. :D

Very nice bowls Vaughn thanks for posting. I particularly like the fact that the edge is wavy. Thats a real nice touch which really to me makes this kind of work stand out. The uniform look tends to appear to "manufactured" i guess appropriate at times but this one hits the spot for me. Well done.