Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 bucks dont buy much anymore

25 bucks dont buy much anymore

nursing my bad back, but feeling 10 times better, I decided to drive over to lowes and just look around at gadgets, devices, anything related to woodworking, making a limit for myself, since it was an impulse buy, not to go over 25 dollars.(just wanted to kill some time today, nothing else to do)
    It didnt take me long to realize there isnt much to buy today for under 25 dollars unless its a drill bit, or some plastic ruler.
    I finally decided on a adjustable 4 foot T square, since I needed one recently and didnt own it.
    I thought the price sticker listed 1999, but I was looking at the wrong sticker, after going back to check, the cashier was right, 2999, but I took it anyway.
    25 bucks just doesnt buy that much anymore.
    Human Test Dummy

Allen, you're exactly right. But, the obvious way around that is not to yield to impulse buys.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I hear ya. In 1960, when the sales tax was introduced to Ontario, there was a $5.00 exemption for restaurant meals. In 1960 you could feed yourself and a friend, and have movie money left over, for $5. Today, the restaurant exemption is still $5, but you can't feed yourself for $5. Hell, with candy bars at about $1.50, and cigarettes at an astronomical price, I'm glad I don't smoke or eat candy any more.

That reminds me, I have to write another letter to my MPP about that restaurant exemption...
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    ... with candy bars at about $1.50, and cigarettes at an astronomical price, I'm glad I don't smoke or eat candy any more. ...
    I quit cigarettes in 1974 partly because they were up to 35 cents a pack and partly because I needed to anyway. Nowadays, I hear people complaining about not having money to pay rent as they light up a cigarette!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

The Rockler Silicone glue brush is only $3.99.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31128&rrt=1

I see that's an intro price, though... I think I'll pick up two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I quit cigarettes in 1974 partly because they were up to 35 cents a pack and partly because I needed to anyway. Nowadays, I hear people complaining about not having money to pay rent as they light up a cigarette!
    Sort of like the couple that couldn't afford a baby crib so the baby had to sleep in the box the wide screen TV came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Allen, you're exactly right. But, the obvious way around that is not to yield to impulse buys.
    you are 100% correct, but my arsenal is pretty light, so a few times a year I try to build it up a bit.(I didnt own a tool before 2006, well, maybe a 25 year old circular saw, hammer, and a few screwdrivers)
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    Sort of like the couple that couldn't afford a baby crib so the baby had to sleep in the box the wide screen TV came in.
    I heard that one coming from a "Queen for a Day" contestant in the 60s. Believe I read it in RD.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

When we managed apts. we would see tenants arrive home with big screen TV's & stereos then they would come down & say they didn't have money for rent. Well we saw you pack your new TV or stereo or what ever into the apt. These were subsidized apts. They used to be able to stay after they got in even with no income. But they stopped that. In the mean time if they said they didn't have any income we would say I see you smoke & have TV cable & long distance how are you paying for them?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

bart, Ive owned rental properties, and I always tried hard not to look at what my tenants were purchasing when they'd call me and tell me they are a couple of hundred short on the rent.
    Id ask them if they would be able to come up with it in a couple of weeks, by the next paycheck, and once my tenant told me, nah, sorry, Im going on vacation to disney, I need that paycheck for spending money.
    the joys of being a landlord.

anyway, speaking of impulse shopping.........a few years back I posted about picking up cushions for an outdoor furniture set I built a few years back out of ipe. I believe I paid 5 dollars a cushion, at a closeout price.
    I saw the same cushions in different colors in the same backyard store for 54.99 each........
    for me, I kinda like the score I made.

and today, I get back into woodworking, gonna start a popcorn stand.
    Human Test Dummy