Standing Desk?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering if anyone here uses/has used a standing desk?

Seriously thinking about giving it a shot.

Would probably start just by creating a plywood stand to put on my existing desk to see how I like it.

I seriously think sitting all day is killing me.

Long run, I'd be interested in getting an electrically adjustable mechanism like one of these http://www.ergodepot.com/Adjustable_Desks_s/134.htm or http://www.ergodepot.com/Ergo_Depot_adjustable_desk_AD17_p/ad17.htm

Just doing a little measuring it seems like 47" would be a good height for me to start with.

Last edited:
My wife suggested one of these a while back...I thought it would be great if I had a tall chair with casters to sit on too.

http://vimeo.com/19770286

Seriously, sounds like it would be a good thing to try. We've got work benches next to our desk here at work, have thought about standing at my laptop many times at them, but they are a little low (42" or so). I'd probably measure from your elbow to the floor for a height where you're not having to lean over at all.

I would have never made it in this industry if I didn't have a job that had me at a desk for hours and on my feet for hours; alternating often throughout the day ;-) The treadmill desk looks good . . . I have a treadmill . . . hmmm.

We've talked about a treadmill desk in the past, but I'm not sure that's realistic for me. I have to concentrate a little too much to toss walking in with the whole mix.

I think I might whip something up tonight and see how it works.

Brent, I won't bash you for wanting a standing desk. I think it is a great idea. I designed one for a client of my cabinetmaker client a while back. It has a slanted lift up top, a drawer in the front and a gallery on the inside that lifts up to reveal a hidden compartment. There are also slide out wings on the side. It was a gift for a daughter who was graduating from law school and I guess she liked it very much. It was designed so a stool would slide in underneath it. In thinking about it now, I would make arrangements for a foot rest under the desk, too.

This is the only image I have of it at the moment. The builder made a few modifications as you can see on the left.

Last edited:
That's a very nice looking desk Dave.

Seems like it's an idea that has some history behind it.

I like the idea of having a stool to rest on as well as being able to stand.

No real plans on making a permanent desk right now, but if I can cobble together a 'riser' for my current desk, I think I will give this a shot.

thank you.

I think you're on the right track with the riser thing. One thing you should also try is a small single step step stool to rest a foot on so you can change positions once in awhile.

I would make arrangements for a foot rest under the desk, too.

One thing you should also try is a small single step step stool to rest a foot on so you can change positions once in awhile.

+1
+1
:thumb:

Brent, I injured my lower back in early 2007 (bulging disks). When I returned to work I found sitting long term to be painful, so I went into the shop and whipped up a standing desk "attachment" for my desk at work. It was basically just a plywood platform with two sides, and a crosspiece at the back. It was sized to go ON my existing L-shaped workstation/desk at work.

I was not prepared to stand full time, so I arranged it so that I could either stand OR sit. I had an imac, and my boss coughed up for a spare monitor and USB keyboard. The lovely things about USB is that you can have multiple keyboards plugged into one computer. (that can cause pranks and hijinks among office workers, but you didn't hear that from me.) So I had the extra monitor + kbd/mouse up on the standing platform, and beside it at the "lower" height, the iMac and the other kbd/mouse sat on my desk. The monitor was set to "mirror" the mac display. So I could sit at my desk and work, and then if I wanted to stand, I would just stand, and turn myself 90-degrees and continue working at the monitor + kbd situated up high. I worked like that for about 4-6 months.

I do strongly suggest getting a short footstool. I had a small one about the size of a phone book, about 4" tall. It really helps having a place to rest one foot as you stand there. (My mom reminded me how 30+ years previous our family doctor recommended that very thing.) Again, just alternate feet as the need arises.

Sorry I don't have any photos or plans. It's nothing complex!

I had a realization of how well this will probably work today, actually not even thinking of your post. Had gotten up a couple of times today and each time I came back to my desk with the "cloudy" thoughts gone and able to get past a couple of things that had been tripping me up a good part of my day. I may have to put my laptop up on the workbench tomorrow and give it a try.

Okay... I popped down to the furnace rm and measured my disassembled stand-up desk topper...

my top is 36" wide by 24" deep (1-1/2" front edge on the plywood top)
The two sides are 16-1/4 high by 20" deep.

So the overall height is 17". Ad that to the typical 30" height of a desk, and the standing height would have been about 47" This seems a bit short, but as I recall it worked well. On me that put's my keyboard (typing height) at about the same relative mid-belly-height :D

another thing you need to consider brent is concrete based floors and knees dont get along well. i too used to have a supposedly sit down job and done it standing up, till it became more sit down and less stand up capable. and that editorial you posted was good reading.. and notice i didnt ridicule you on any time frame for this next project:)

hmmmmm I wonder if we will see it by Thanksgiving....:huh::rolleyes:
:poke: et tu brute?
Don, that's just plain cruel. :eek::D
:rofl: no, just us family types urging him on.
cruel but pretty funny.

this is a tough crowd brent.
truer words...
Ask a simple question, get beaten down and bashed. That's harsh! :D

Yep, they're a wicked bunch aren't they? I wouldn't Know How you feel right now... not at All :rolleyes:

As to your standing desk, build a prototype and try it out! more than likely you'll have to fiddle with the height a bit, but what have you got to lose? I'll second the lab stool idea though, that's my preferred seating device out in my shop, and I like my workbench at about 43" or so IIRC. shorter benches for me don't work as well. I suspect you might wind up with a tall Keyboard platform, and mid-range monitor(s) where you can either Sit Or stand and continue working, much like what Art had.