Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any HVAC experts?

Any HVAC experts?

Well as I hinted at last weekend, our AC is real close to being shot. Being that it is from 1986 range, we can't just switch the AC. So a total replacement is in order. I got 3 prices on 3 different levels. What I don't get is SEER ratings. Anybody know enough to help a guy out? The furnace will be a 95% eff model. Be glad to get rid of that dang chimney sticking out of the roof, that's for sure.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    The SEER rating of a unit is the cooling output in
    Btu
    (British thermal unit) during a typical cooling-season divided by the total electric energy input in
    watt-hours
    during the same period. The higher the unit's SEER rating the more energy efficient it is.

Google is my friend

"Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Just did that myself. Looking like more SEER means more savings. Hmmm............

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

You might take a look at other areas, such as insulation and window replacements, even window tinting for that matter also. Nothing against the high-effiency appliances, but keeping the cold/warm in/out is a big factor in how much they have to run.

Our first house was one that was built in the 20's and had absolutely no insulation in the walls and single pane windows through out. The new furnace and a/c ran a lot until we got all the walls insulated, windows caulk (mostly shut, left some key ones openable), and holes blocked off. But even on the newer homes, the blow-in insulation in an attic typically settles over time and gets more compacted or kicked around when running new electrical and such. I'm needing to add some in my current house now as it's only got batts and have leaks I can feel in the winter, the blow-in usually seals these up places the batts miss.

You can do a pretty simple audit yourself using a $12 infrared temperature device from HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-93983.html). I used one to go around on a cold/warm day to see where I had leaky windows voids in the insulation and such to see where I could do some pretty inexpensive improvements.

If you've got an attic fan, be sure you've got it boxed in and insulated as well when not in use during the winter. I had one rental house that didn't and cut almost $100 per month in heating out just by closing doing that.

My last house had a wall of floor to ceiling windows. During the summer, our living room became a sauna during the daytime with the sunlight shining in. Not to mention the thermostat was in that same room, really through off the balance of the house with the AC running all the time. We had a company come out and put some reflective tint on the inside, was only about $250, but man what a difference.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

We have replaced most of the windows, added more insulation to the attic last year. I do want to replace the kitchen door, but that is another thing on it's own. (She wants this and I want that.) House is in good shape for a mid-sixty's build. It heats well and holds it just as well. When she gets home this evening, we are going to decide on which package to get. I can get a $300 rebate from the elect company and $800 from the HVAC, so that helps. Also going to get a energy management switch installed once HVAC is replaced. Elect company will knock a little off the monthly bill for this.

Forgot to add, I also added a ridge vent last year, that really helped cooling in the summer. If I could do something about the dark red brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    If I could do something about the dark red brick.
    Pink latex paint is probably out of the question?
    Ken
    ------

You have no idea how bad I want to paint this house. It would help on the cooling so much. Pink is a bit much, though

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    You have no idea how bad I want to paint this house. It would help on the cooling so much. Pink is a bit much, though
    I have a friend who owns a brick house that a previous owner painted.... He strongly recommends against it. Looks horrible when it flakes (which it does) and is a REAL bear to clean re-paint. Painting brick is one of those "you can never go back" decisions.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Probably doesn't help with the cooling, but probably absorbs heat for the winter too.

We looked at a house before buying the one we have. The previous owner graded the outside up about 6" over the brick all the way around. Termites took it as an invite and chewed right through the mortar and ate up about most of the inside of the house. I think the folks that bought it had it dozed for the land...went that cheap.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

Don't worry I am not going to paint it, bad as I want too, I won't.