popcorn machine cart-FINISHED

allen levine

knocked off half a days work on it.
Use 8/4 maple planed down to 6/4 for the legs.
Sandeply stuff from HD for the walls.
Will add a large drawer to hold popcorn bags and mix.
I need to add top, drawer slides, drawer, attach the wheels, cut axle (closet pole) to size and secure, then I will paint it red with yellow wheels.
Ill cut out a hole and attach a small 4 foot span umbrella.

Im making this cart for a block party. The wheels are not really for pushing the cart, just for the look.
Im using only stock I have on hand, off cuts of the sheet goods, and Ive got tons of 8/4 maple.
I had some 1 inch dowels I decided to use for handles. I originally cut out a handle out of maple, but after running into a rough time rounding over the edges(my large roundover bit is a piece of trash, onlly use if for pressure treated wood), I decided on just using simple dowels. quick and easy.
All pockets screws, quick and easy.
The machine has a 16x16 inch base. The top of the cart will be 18 inches by 29 inches, to hold the umbrella and a few boxes of candy.
The wheels I already had the template made from the tray I carved out with the router a few months back.
If I finish up tomorrow, Ill put one or two more pics before I start priming and painting.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 048 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 048 (Medium).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 47
  • kitchen reface 049 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 049 (Medium).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
block party is in July. I expect it to be the largest one as far as participation this year because we havent done one in years, and over the past few years, alot of young people with school age children have moved in.
Its great to see kids running up and down the street and all that noise, I love it.
The organizer seems like hes trying to keep expenses down, and getting a vote from all those participating on what rides, entertainment, dj, and food machines we all want to chip in for.
Im donating the popcorn and supplies also, so that will open up another 200 dollars for the pool.
Im also going to hang metal clip hangers from the umbrella, lined with different candies for the kids. Afterall, I dont care if they get all sugared up, I dont have to put them to sleep that night. hehehehe.

and as usual, I have a few hundred little toys I give out halloween, Ill probably hand out to all the kids if they come over.

none of you guys scare me, youre welcome anytime, anyday, if we aint cooking, dont worry, we have the best delis and best pizzerias in the world 5 minutes from me.

Last edited:
There once was a man named Levine,
Had a non-mobile popcorn machine.
So he whipped up a cart
(Or at least got a start)
For the best party you've ever seen.

Sorry...I was in a limerick mood there for a sec.

the construction is finished.
Pretty much primitive axle and wheels, used a few blocks and I will glue and secure the axle covers on after painting.
(might cut the axle covers a different shape other than square)
Will bevel the edges of the plywood wheels, and sand the entire unit a bit, to get off the rough edges, and saw marks.
Again, the drawer gave me headaches, had to remake it, its deep enough to hold supplies.
Red, yellow, and maybe some dayglo orange paint.
If I get ambitious next week, Ill try using some stencils and paint on Popcorn on the side of the cart.
(rather than surface another board of maple, I had alot of cherry strips so I used it to edge around the top, will paint it anyway)

tomorrow its back to kitchen work on site.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 052 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 052 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 24
  • kitchen reface 053 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 053 (Medium).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 22
  • kitchen reface 054 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 054 (Medium).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
  • kitchen reface 055 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 055 (Medium).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20
  • kitchen reface 056 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 056 (Medium).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
There once was a man named Levine,
Had a non-mobile popcorn machine.
So he whipped up a cart
(Or at least got a start)
For the best party you've ever seen.

Sorry...I was in a limerick mood there for a sec.

:D:thumb:

There once was man named Levine
He shop was never quite clean
He worked them so fast
The quality was unsurpassed
And his friends nicknamed him 'Machine'

clean shop, nah......cant get me sucked into this shop cleaning frenzy going on here lately.
Im trying to keep the flow moving. Sawdust doesnt bother me much, once every 2-3 weeks I vacuum now.
cleaning every day just takes up way too much time.

finished today, maybe it would have looked better just stained, but its for a block party, so I wanted it to be circus like/festive/carnival-ish

if anyone wants to add a bit of more nostalgia, they can purchase an axle and add large spoked wheels, Im not flipping for 45 dollars, plus some bushings.

vaughn-I found a large plastic shoebox with a lid that fits into the drawer so if I decide to peddle down at the train station, I can at least add some soda and boost up my daily take.

Attachments

• kitchen reface 057 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 057 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 44
  • kitchen reface 059 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 059 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 46
  • kitchen reface 058 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen reface 058 (Medium).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Fantastic job Allen. What i really like about your projects is just how well you meet the fit for purpose specification.
You seem to get it every time. Well done.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2