Thread: Goodness...I am feeling my

Goodness...I am feeling my

age and physical conditioning or a lack there of.....

I just started milling the white oak on my next project which is an expanded version of Norm's Porch Swing. My wife wanted it longer and wider.

Trying to joint one edge on a piece of 8/4 white oak which is 9" wide and 110" long.....is all I want to handle. It also dawned on me it was a lot of drag on the jointer so I stopped and waxed the beds and fence.

This old guy thinks he might go do a little more calculating, figure out a layout for parts in that board and cross cut it to a shorter lengths before more jointing takes place.

Wow!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-01-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Ken
    ------

you must have skipped your wheaties today fitz be sure to get them for tomorrows work load
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I know the feeling Ken, I also have been working with 10' long and wide white oak for the past couple of weeks, and it wears this old man down pretty quickly. I drag a board off the shelf and get it to managable lengths, and it makes life easier. And I know how out of shape this old guy is.

9 inches wide, 9 feet long, 8/4 white oak, is more than I would attempt to drag across the jointer.
    it isnt your age, its the project that is tough.
    I just cut down an 8/4 board of 12 inch wide 12 feet long maple, and I thought Id kill myself just getting the board across the garage onto the mitre saw to cut down.
    Human Test Dummy

You guys crack me up. Even with all the huffing and puffing, you wouldn't want to be any place else but it the shop. It's part of who you are.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Well....a combination of waxing the beds and fence on the jointer....recalculating and cutting the board to reasonable lengths made it much easier to joint and rip. LOL!

I flattened and honed the chisels for my moritiser yesterday. I may start mortising or might just get cleaned up and take my wife out to dinner......and some Dos Equis amber on tap at our usual Friday night eating and watering hole......
    Ken
    ------

Ok Steve, You got me figured out it looks like, BUT, see how you are huffing and puffing when you are 77, and hauling white oak or maple around,

Nothing better than being in the shop, I must admit.

Yeah Ken, brains are better than brawn---
    Especially if the brawn in gawn.

I use my brain for that heavy stuff.
    I just yell, "Glllennnnn."

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    Ok Steve, You got me figured out it looks like, BUT, see how you are huffing and puffing when you are 77, and hauling white oak or maple around,

Nothing better than being in the shop, I must admit.
    About 33 more years and I will be there. I just hope it works out pretty good.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.