MacBook and ViewSonic projector

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The projector arrived yesterday. Didn't expect it until Monday. WooHoo.

Or so I thought. Now I need an Apple dongle to convert the mini-dvd port to VGA. Stopped at the Apple store yesterday and got told there are about 8 of things. I need to bring in my MacBook and the cable to get the right one.

Crap! That's a 130 mile round trip. And I need it this week.

Thanks for the rant/vent.

So you live in the boonies of NV, huh?

Do you get mail service? :)

How about giving mail order a try?

VGA is a standard. It's crummy, but it is a standard.

To get the right adapter you need to know what model of MacBook you have ('Apple menu/About this Mac...' and click on 'More Info...' In the hardware overview it will tell you exactly what kind of Mac you have. It will look somewhat like:

for carol.png

Any competent Apple store worker should be able to figure it out from there.

Also the little manual that came with the MacBook should describe the video out port.

How about giving mail order a try?
To get the right adapter you need to know what model of MacBook you have ('Apple menu/About this Mac...' and click on 'More Info...' In the hardware overview it will tell you exactly what kind of Mac you have. It will look somewhat like:
Also the little manual that came with the MacBook should describe the video out port.

To add to John's comments, Carol...

A great resources online is everymac.com That website has info about every mac there is. Follow the link to the macbook page, and it will tell you how to determine precisely which macbook you have, and then it will have a detailed page that lists which ports your macbook will support.

After that it is up to you. Personally I just ordered some no-name port dongles off of amazon, which is FAR cheaper than buying apple-branded dongles at the Apple store. (ie: I picked up a mini displayport -to- VGA, AND a mini displayport to hdmi, AND a 6ft hdmi cable for about $15, as compared to prices of $40 for just the one connector direct from Apple.) On the other hand, in your case it sounds like time is of the essence, so you'll have to pick whichever is quicker for you.

best wishes,
...art