Byrd shelix cutterhead

ROGER FOSTER

I am thinking of upgrading my 8" jointer with a byrd cuterhead .My concern is the quality of the cut for glue ups. I have heard the cut leaves ridges.
THANK YOU

As stated, poor technique will deliver scallops with knives or inserts. If you are not having issues today, I would not expect that to change.

Last edited:
I put a Byrd head my jointer a few years ago. Cuts like a dream and runs real quiet.
It does leave small scallops but not near big enough to cause a problem with a glue up.

I put a Byrd head my jointer a few years ago. Cuts like a dream and runs real quiet.
It does leave small scallops but not near big enough to cause a problem with a glue up.

what machine did you up grade with the byrd head gary? was it a hard retro fit? readjusting things to cut right after the install?

I have a 8" general canada jointer.
The install was a snap. I had the new bearings put on at a shop and did the install myself.
I did have to shim on side but now all one has to do is turn the cutters or replace them.
Replacing knives on those machines was not my favourite thing.... To me these heads are a dream.

They are great if you are taking light cuts or working with highly figured wood. I had one on one of my planers and did not like it for daily use.