Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An experience, an observation and some advice...

An experience, an observation and some advice...

I have had my MM-16 bandsaw for a number of years and this evening I had an interesting experience.

While cutting some angled tenons on the seat support for a porch swing I'm building, the 1/2" blade broke. I can't remember having a blade break before. It was an interesting experience but not as terrible as I thought it would be. But...I was able to make some observations...

When a blade breaks balanced cast iron wheels can spin for one or more minutes. Don't be in a hurry to open doors. A broken blade could end up in that spinning balanced wheel and you could have another incident that was more catastrophic!

It really was underwhelming when it broke. I immediately just stepped on the footbrake which shuts off power and brakes the lower wheel. Then I opened the upper wheel cover and watched the top wheel spin for another minute or two. Then I realized the danger to which I had exposed myself by opening the door while the wheel was still spinning.

I investigated the break in the blade. It just broke straight across with a very slight tear near the back of the blade. If my memory serves me correctly, this is the original blade that came with the saw. I have had the saw for at least 4 maybe 5 years so I have gotten money's worth out of the blade.

Since my wife woke me up at 0300 this morning to take her to the airport, I decided to replace the blade and continue cutting tenons tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-05-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Probably a hair raising moment none the less and glad it wasn't anywhere dramatic.

I remember one breaking on our BS in HS and recall it wasn't very dramatic, just a slight pop and remember my shop teacher pulling on my shoulder to step back as he shut off the machine. They had a blade welder on the BS in the metal shop, so they did a quick repair and stuck the same blade back on a few minutes later.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I've never had one break but I've always wondered what it would be like.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The Heart of Dixie
    Did you notice a slight thumping before it broke? Maybe heard a bumping sound? Mine always crack and I can hear a small thumping or bumping sound. Before I put it together and let them go I would start to feel a slight bump as I am cutting, then they let go suddenly. Now I can recognize it and change the blades.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

So. Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

I investigated the break in the blade. It just broke straight across with a very slight tear near the back of the blade.
    Did it break at the weld?

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Mike asks a good question. Most quality blade suppliers will warranty a weld break at any time.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

The break didn't occur at the weld.

I normally detention my blade two turns on the tension wheel after a period of use. I will explain. I am getting ready to cut some curved parts on the porch swing I am building. Normally I would cut all 6 of the curved parts and then detention the blade two turns until the next time I use it. I think what happened is I didn't detention it the last time I used it and I just cranked up the tension 2 turns resulting in it being overtensioned.

I am deaf and have been diagnosed with Meniere's disease. Though I wear a hearing aid (HA) on one ear and have a cochlear implant (CI) on the other ear, my hearing isn't normal. As a result of the Meniere's disease, my hearing varies from day to day. I will have periods of time when I have pretty good hearing, other times poor hearing...some times things sound fairly normal and other times things are distorted.

When the blade broke, I heard the bandsaw motor running the dust collector running and then the "BANG".

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    I always ran mine until they broke. If it didn't break it was still cutting but I could feel the bump and always got ready for it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    I always ran mine until they broke. If it didn't break it was still cutting but I could feel the bump and always got ready for it.
    yup, I've felt the bump too.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    the good news is you didnt get an injury.
    Human Test Dummy