Big Solid Spalted Maple Side tables.

Jeff Bower

Not a lot of fine woodworking skill used here, but they weren't made on a lathe so it's flatwork right?:huh::dunno:

Anyway, last fall I mentioned scoring some maple logs. Well, there size worked perfectly for some tables a friend asked me to make. I had made a similar table for her sister last year and she wanted two for herself. I cut them into a shape with the chainsaw (I have another project with the offcuts, :rolleyes:) and then went at them with a power sander on the grinder, belt sander, orbital sander and finally hand sanding. Drilled some holes for the steel legs and put I think 8 coats of home brew danish oil on them. They're smooth as a baby's bottom and the oil brought out the spalting pretty well I think. The tall one is 32" and the other is 28" both are about 10" X 12" They will be delivered tonight after work. Glad to have them out of the shop as they made a huge mess with all the sading and my air cleaner decided to quit working about an hour into sanding :(.

Off to the next project...:D

Attachments

• p_00413.jpg
    p_00413.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 39
  • p_00416.jpg
    p_00416.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0755.jpg
    IMAG0755.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0708.jpg
    IMAG0708.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0759.jpg
    IMAG0759.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 42
Thanks guys!

Bob they are pretty heavy, but they should get lighter as they age. :rolleyes: Larry, not sure I made much of anything after all the time spent sanding...also the spalted dust used to give me was a sinus infection, but I got one of these and haven't had any trouble since except a bunch of it to clean up.

Nicely done, Jeff. :thumb: I've seen similar pieces in a very high-end home in Laguna Beach. (The yacht parked in the slip out back was probably worth over a million bucks, and the house was surely more.)