WARNING: Linseed oil and rags

Joe Kieve

I posted this on several other woodworking forums of which I'm a member but feel so strongly about this that I felt it needed posting here as well. Many of us use BLO in finishing, so the possibility is there.

I just left a friend's house who left some linseed oil soaked rags, less than 24 hours, in a bucket in his attached garage. They smoked up the garage and were just at the point of ignition when his wife noticed smoke in the garage. She called 911 and firefighters were able to find the problem before damage was done, mainly smoke. The biggest problem was that she is confined to a wheelchair and the only exit ramp is through the garage. Guess you know what we'll be doing pretty quick....building another ramp to the outside.

I guess I said all that to say....dispose of those oily rags properly!!!

Joe

I've never had this happen to me, but 1. I don't use a lot of linseed oil and 2. I had read this warning somewhere before and took heed... I lay all finish cloths across the edge of the trash can to dry before they get tossed inside... it a good warning and I'm adamant about doing that because of the spontaneous combustion problem.

How real is this problem? Let me share a story. Our church was being rebuilt - almost done - the painters had just finished oil-staining the ceiling, and in a couple days the pews were going to be installed. The painters had left their stain rags spread out to dry. The general contractor came through to check, and had his helper clean up the messy rags left around by those sloppy painters. He piled them in the corner next to the air conditioning duct. The church burned to the ground overnight, since the AC duct guided the flames to the roof and ceiling.

Here is proof. I left the rag balled up on a bench and went about doing something else while the BLO was drying on the piece I had finished applying the BLO on. I smelled something burning and turned around and could see smoke coming from the balled up rag. The good news was I was still in the shop. This took only about an hour to occur. I am sure the 100 degree Arizona temps help speed up the reaction.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 12
I keep a lidded 5 gallon bucket in my shop filled about halfway with water. I usually use a small folded square of paper towel to apply finish to my turned pieces, and as soon as I'm done with it, I toss the oil-soaked paper into the bucket and make sure it's all the way under water. Every few weeks, I empty the bucket and put clean water in it again.