Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island

Well I was working at my Dad's combination Jointer/Table-saw they are close together (to close for comfort) & run by a common motor . I using the jointer & it is crowded so I was standing behind & a little to the right of the jointer & as I moved my right hand came into contact with the table-saw blade. just nicking the index finger nail inside edge & getting the middle finger about where a pencil would rest when writing & the ring finger at the left side of the nail. The fingers work ok the Dr. says I may lose a little feeling in the middle finger tip the nerves can be operated on but it probably wouldn't get the results we are looking for.

After thought it would pay to roll the TS blade down when running the jointer.

Pics not good but here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0156.jpg   SANY0155.jpg   SANY0154.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 06-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Kansas City, Missouri
    Ouch is right, but glad it wasn't worse than it was Bart.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ouch is right. My TS is a stand alone and I still retract the blade when not using the saw. Just the way I was taught
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Los Angeles, CA
    No need for good pictures. The description was enough. Hope it heals fast and you get full sensation back.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Oh man were you lucky to come away with a minor cut

Glad it wasn't worse
    Faith, Hope & Charity

ABQ NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    ...After thought it would pay to roll the TS blade down when running the jointer...
    I came here to say that, but you beat me to it.

I'm with Don...whenever the tablesaw blade isn't spinning or in the process of being set up to spin, it's retracted. When I'm done cutting, I'm usually cranking it back down before the blade is even done spinning. By keeping the blade down all the time, I don't risk dinging me, the blade, the fence, or any materials that happen to be placed on the tablesaw.

Heal quickly, Bart.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Delton, Michigan
    heal quickly Bart and hope you dont get that close again..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I agree on the ouch and am very glad it wasn't worse. Whew! Heal up quick and well. As to Don's comment; I'm also a 'lower the blade when not in use' guy. I think we'll have to blame my dad for drumming that one into me. I have cut myself brushing spoil off the saw top when the stopped blade was up. It is a great, if unwelcome, reminder of just how well our cutters cut.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-06-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

falcon heights, minnesota
    having an encounter similar, getting 11 stitches, and a life long reminder, all i can say is owie-owie-owie-owie-owie-owie!!! heal quick young man.
    benedictione omnes bene

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Ouch that sucks! Hopefully you heal well/quickly!

Great reminder to put the blade down (lower the guard on the bandsaw, etc...), its sure easy to get in a hurry and "just this once it'll be fine".