todays pickings

I planted my first tomatoes and basil this year, no tomatoes yet, but my wife's been picking the basil already. I've also got several volunteer strawberries coming up too where an old evergreen shrub used to be.

Jeff, you should try some container gardening. I've got several extra pots that are going to be herb containers soon, the tomatoes and basil are in an empty flower bed we had.

Not bad. We just got our first harvest, 4 cherry tomatoes...

FWW-5960.jpg

But then we had a frost scare yesterday. Got down to 33.6 degrees. Our last frost date is technically 6/15, so our season really hasn't started yet.

Looks like good pickings!

It's warm enough here to consider to start planting. This spring and last year's spring have been cold and delayed plantings.

Larry yep that's red lettuce. also have iceburg,but that's not ready yet. Everyone kept telling us we planted to early, as we started in mid march. I guess we just got lucky as we didn't have a frost after we got it in the ground. We have been picking bush beans, and strawberrys also, and the taters are all most ready.Also have had some peppers in all ready.Here's a few pics of the garden.We also planted some blue berrys, rasberrys, apple trees, peach trees, plumb,cherry,pear, and started a grape arber.:D

Attachments

• 003 [800x600].jpg
    003 [800x600].jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 004 [800x600].jpg
    004 [800x600].jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 005 [800x600].jpg
    005 [800x600].jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 007 [800x600].jpg
    007 [800x600].jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 008 [800x600].jpg
    008 [800x600].jpg
    123 KB · Views: 14
  • 009 [800x600].jpg
    009 [800x600].jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 010 [800x600].jpg
    010 [800x600].jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 011 [800x600].jpg
    011 [800x600].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
Larry yep that's red lettuce. also have iceburg,but that's not ready yet. Everyone kept telling us we planted to early, as we started in mid march. I guess we just got lucky as we didn't have a frost after we got it in the ground. We have been picking bush beans, and strawberrys also, and the taters are all most ready.Also have had some peppers in all ready.Here's a few pics of the garden.We also planted some blue berrys, rasberrys, apple trees, peach trees, plumb,cherry,pear, and started a grape arber.:D

That looks great Stephen!

How do you know when the taters are ready? I've got some growing in a couple of tubs and really have no idea.

That looks great Stephen!

How do you know when the taters are ready? I've got some growing in a couple of tubs and really have no idea.
Brent from what my brother told me, and what i've read. You wait till the leaves all dye and you can pic any time after that. They say you can leave them in the ground for up to 2 weeks and it woun't hurt them a bit. This is the first real garden we ever put in, so we're still learning.

Brent from what my brother told me, and what i've read. You wait till the leaves all dye and you can pic any time after that. They say you can leave them in the ground for up to 2 weeks and it woun't hurt them a bit. This is the first real garden we ever put in, so we're still learning.

Thats correct on the leaves, it takes between 90-120 days depending on the weather. The farmers around here plant em in Jan,Feb and they just finished harvesting em.

Well, our potatoes are still growing pretty green. Need to check when we put them in.

The tomatoes are actually looking pretty good for around here. I think with the green house we got ahead of the curve this year. Last year we didn't get any tomatoes until darn near september.

another tip for tators guys,, if you hill them up as they grow to make them regrow the tops more you will get more tators per hiull they come from the roots and your making more roots,, when we were kids we got a peck of tators of one hill one time..dad can easily get enough to feed him and us from just a few hills.. the commercial farmers here will hill them twice.. or used to.. now days potatoes are not raised much around here just radishes..

Stephen if this is your first year i say you got real green fingers and i dont think i will even try :(.

Larry when you say hill them up i take it you saying pile soil up against the stem as it grows, i presume that means it grows higher again and one can then repeat the process or have i got it wrong.

I was always under the impression that one had to wait for the taters to flower then they were able to be picked.

Does one have to use seed taters or can one use shop taters that have started budding?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2