trip to southern PA

I took my son who's 11 and my nephew who's 16 on a little road trip last Thursday thru Monday. We went to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum WW2 weekend in Reading on Friday. My son is a huge WW2 fan. He's interested in anything relating to WW2. Being a boy though as you can imagine he loves the planes, tanks, guns, etc. Here's a few of pics.WW2 and gettysburg 013.jpgWW2 and gettysburg 023.jpgWW2 and gettysburg 001.jpg

We headed over to Gettysburg on Saturday and spent Saturday and Sunday there. We needed a couple more days at Gettysburg. We walked Pickett's charge from Seminary Ridge across to Cemetery Ridge from the Virginia Memorial to the copse of trees. WW2 and gettysburg 095.jpg I think it made an impression on the boys. Here's a picture looking down from Little Round Top across the Valley of Death and Bloody Run to the Devils Den.WW2 and gettysburg 105.jpg

You can take the woodworker out of the workshop but you can't take the tree lust out of the woodworker! This is a tulip poplar at the national cemetery. I used Lucas for scale. He's right at 5' tall.WW2 and gettysburg 056.jpg The next one is a cypress burlWW2 and gettysburg 061.jpg Finally here's a burl on a red oak, it was a good 4' across!gettysburg 566.jpg

This was my first time to PA. It's a beautiful place, it reminds me of Middle Tennessee.

Attachments

• gettysburg 696.jpg
    gettysburg 696.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 19
John that's always a nice trip. only been there ounce and i'm from PA.:) I'll be going back to PA at the end of the month, but will be going to northeast PA. Havn't been back home in going on 7 years, ever since we lost our son that time. They tell me the gas co. has come in and changed the land scape a bunch. Hope they didn't do to much damage, as it (IMHO)was one of the most beautiful places in the country. And i've been to most of the lower 48 states, canada, and mexico.

John great trip. When i was a kid i was just like your son. Actually built just about every WW2 plane as a model. Cost me a lot of my allowances. What inspired me at the time were the comics that were full of it.

Great road trip going to Gettysburg with your son he will remember that important piece of history and the time you guys spent together. I made sure to get my son there during a road trip we took to the USA.
I encouraged him to sit and listen carefully to Lincolns address at the end of the museum route. Did you get to go through the new museum there? I have been to many many museums all over the world and that has to be one of the best for keeping attention and getting the message across to even the most disinterested person.

You want to take your boy down Dave H way to Washington and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum another fine complex but it needs a bit of time to do it properly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

John:

We made a family trip to the WWII weekend at Reading on Saturday. My son is the airplane buff - he can identify most of the planes by sight - I need to read the placards! If you were there Saturday we probably walked past each other unawares . . .

Our next to trips are to the 'Burgs. Williamsburg in July and Gettysburg in August.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss