Helmets are a good thing :-}

Got my helmet back from a friend yesterday. Thank God for helmet laws in Md. The visor screw took the brunt of the hit besides my ribs. For the life of me I still can't figure this one out. It's like the bike had a mind of it's own , threw me off and kept going up right over the 30' drop off knowing I was not going to make the turn. :huh:
20120608_101940.jpg

Last edited:
You're smart and lucky! A few years ago I came off my bicycle, was knocked unconscious, and broke my helmet clear through on the front rim. Without it, I would probably be dead. With it, they just had to sew up some tears at the hospital and let me go home.

You mean if they didn't have a helmet law, you wouldn't wear one?? Heck, I put one on just to look at a bike...and I don't ride! Bet ya get a new one :)

Dave glad you in one piece, have shared your experience more than once. :( have scars to show for it.

Helmet and visor saved me too. Larry is correct it should go and you get a new one.

Bikes are great fun....but once you spend sufficient time in hospital and see the odds re numbers of bike cases passing through those wards...it sure makes you think...at what price.:(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You mean if they didn't have a helmet law, you wouldn't wear one?? Heck, I put one on just to look at a bike...and I don't ride! Bet ya get a new one :)

I don't ride, so the helmet thing is moot to me... but Tennessee has a campaign on wearing the seat belt... when my first car that came with a seatbelt...1964 Corvette (I'm pretty sure it had belts, but know for certain the '65 did) I started wearing them when I bought the car around 1965-66 and now I don't feel comfortable in a vehicle without them... we still have people in TN that ride without them... In Feb a couple of teens was following me out of town on a narrow back road... I was doing speed limit, but not fast enough for them they popped out from behind me and collided head on with another car... one of the boys was thrown out of the car and landed on the pavement... fortunately he wasn't hurt, but could have been killed... I saw where his head had hit the windshield before he was thrown clear...

I agree with every one else... you were smart to be in a helmet and now it's time to replace it with a new one... be safe!

Dave, I am not sure they even had crash helmets when I did my motorcycling. I sure never saw or heard of one. They did have 10 inch wide, on the back, leather belts to reduce the back aches however.

When I was riding my Harley 74 my helmet was like that worn by the people flying open cockpit airplanes. They were like a nice, smooth, soft leather skull cap. They kept your hair out of your eyes and tried to make you look macho. Other than that they were useless.

Anyway when I flew through the air from the shoulder on one side of highway US 101 and lit a bit beyond the shoulder on the other side of US 101, I decided maybe I should stick to cars. My exhibitionism drew quite a crowd. It was winter and I was wearing all of my heavy winter clothes. All I had was a few bruises and scratches.

It felt like it took me several minutes to fly across the highway. I looked down and thought, "there goes the clutch, there goes the windshield, etc." And then I had time to position my body for the least damaging landing. It was almost like the old expression, "Time stood still."

Enjoy,

JimB