Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to google and when to ask

When to google and when to ask

So here is a thought that has crossed my mind more times than i can think of since joining this forum. Today i thought what the heck why not ask.

So...here goes....

Whats your thoughts on when you should ask a question about something of your forum mates versus simply not bothering and seeking the answer via google.

To me there is a huge difference between the two. But there are times when it could appear albeit not necessarily the case that one is too lazy too look it up oneself.

Whats your view / thoughts on the matter.?

I feel google can be a conversation killer.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I'd agree with you Rob. The conversations will lead you to ideas and perceptions that you may not have thought of...or for that matter tell you it's a stupid idea in the first place. Google will continue to promote a stupid idea to the point that you create a youtube video of yourself doing the stupid act and showing it to the world.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If I and a bunch of forum people were sitting around in my shed, we'd be very uncomfortably squished together, but aside from that, I would never think of Googling a question when I have people around with the kind of experience that means I don't have to try and assess the value of the Google source. I'm getting answers from a source that I trust, and can ask supplementary questions of. For woodworking techniques, I actually use Youtube more than Google, as watching someone do something successfully is 1,000 times better than reading about it.

I set up my MLCS dovetail jig yesterday, and I have some questions that I will ask here, later. I went to Youtube and got one answer I needed, and some clarification of the manual, but I'm still going to ask my questions on this forum and a routering forum.

Good question, Rob.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

This is a good question - one I've struggled with. I'm glad this place isn't one of those "If you had used the search..." or "It's easy to find on google..." - in fact, people who do that instantly get put into a category of people I reserve in my mind for the kinds of people I'd never trust with anything. What's the point of a forum if everyone just searches? The whole point of a forum is discussion ... if you're sick of answering the same question, zip yer lip and let someone else answer! Sorry - rant mode off now

For me - I decide whether to ask vs. research depending on several factors. If it's relatively safe information (something won't explode if I get it wrong, etc) and I need to know right away, then I Google. This would be things that are cropping up in the process of doing something and the answer is timely - i need to know before I can continue with whatever it is I'm doing. Stuff like deciding how to attach one piece to another - if i'm in the midst of the task at hand and a question like that comes up, I'll either Google it or ask the guys (if any) that are hanging out in my woodworking chat room. The timeliness is a major factor there because I want to keep my train of thought rolling. But I think confidence in my ability to find the right answer also plays a major role, too.

When it's something I'm not too sure about or isn't needed right away, I'll post on a forum. Forum answers come over time and when that's okay, they're the best place I've found for kicking around an idea. I try to reach these questions sooner in a project so as to have more opportunity to ask a forum and reduce the number of things I end up having to Google instead. Preparedness, I guess.

Questions are the heart of a forum. If we all sit around waiting for someone to post tips or finished projects, a forum doesn't thrive. It's questions that are the lifeblood of any forum. That's why it baffles me when I encounter a forum where questions are met with "Do a search...". Those forums shoot themselves in the foot, I feel. The simple questions need asking so that other folks can find the information should they do a search. It also breeds healthy discussion over the best techniques, or the pitfalls of one technique over another.

I try not to Google hard stuff ... I probably should ask more of the simpler questions, but I was raised to seek the info first, then ask if I need to so sometimes I don't always ask first. In the end, it's kind of a balance and it really depends on the situation when the question comes up. If it can wait and I want a thorough explanation or if it would actually generate some conversation, then I try to ask.

Good question, Rob
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    OK Rob, I tried to Google an answer and was unsuccessful to here is my take on it. If I simply want to know the meaning of something such as a word or a phrase I Google it but if I want and opinion or a consensus of opinions abut a thing a process or and idea I ask the forum. A good example was a few days ago Steve asked the question "What does SEER mean" if he just wanted to know the meaning of the word then Google works for me but if he really wanted to know does it pay to spend the extra money for a higher SEER rated unit then he would be looking for an opinion.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great replies. Glad i asked the question.

I think there is huge merit in the fact that if one hangs out at a particular forum long enough, then you get to know the guys hopefully they become friends. For this to occur one has found common ground among them and then surely the weight and value of a friends opinion has so much more bearing on a matter.

I have a friend down the road from me thats a retired mechanic and ex woodworking machine repair man. He and i will call each other to chew the fat on something even though neither of us might know the answer. I value his opinion and he is honest with me like i am with him and their is no ego involved in saying heck i dont know. We past any stage of needing to come off cleverer than the next man.

Common ground to me is more than just technical prowess. How many people are able to agree to disagree and still be friends or able to move off a position they have taken in life after input from friends.

Its easy to be agreeable...heck all one needs to do then is nod when the other person says something.

Many times to hear one is taking an incorrect approach is way easier to hear from someone you have respect for as a friend than to hear it from a source where one can rationalise that the source is questionable....
    cheers

I tend to Google my questions and then ask the forum, Just to get different perspectives.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    I tend to Google my questions and then ask the forum, Just to get different perspectives.
    +1, I start with Google, or forum searches... Then when that's exhausted, I'll ask y'all's collective opinion.
    -Ned

Rob, I tried really hard to get this link to point back at this thread, but this is as close as I could come:

http://bit.ly/LbjjhR

I agree with what others have said, I see the value in a mix of asking and researching. Quite often I'll also use Google to make sure the answer I'm about to give someone is indeed correct.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have ask a couple questions lately and the first reply was Google is your friend type thing. If I wanted a Google answer, I would have done the Google. The reason I ask is for knowledge on the subject from actual users, not predetermined answers.

Thus the reason I don't ask many questions anymore. I also don't like to show projects anymore, until complete, for basically the same reason.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.