longevity of tools?

Karl Brogger

How long should I expect a dovetail jig to last? I've got a Porter-Cable 24" jig that I bought new in probably 07', my joints are getting harder and harder to get fitting well. There is wear on the the template itself where the bushing rides, but nothing too serious looking. The router motor is brand new as of last fall and has only done a few hundred drawers.

Anyone know if parts are available? Or should I just have a machinest make me a new templates plate?

from my experience karl in a much smaller scale than yours but also in a different aspect,, dovetail jigs rely on the matched cuts between wood and the template bearing surface. if your router is just a smidgen to high or to low, you dont get tight joints. so to me with the amount of use you have given this jig i would say to get another jig or order a new part for it. every time your router runs along the bearing surface or the top surface as well it gets worn, you may not see the shavings come off but it does get thinner or more open.aluminum isnt real hard.. contact porter cable company and ask them for there veiws.

Wow...this is something to hear. I for one never thought this was even possible but Larry makes good points.

Karl a few years back a local shop closed and the guy was selling a dedicated dovetail machine. If you doing so many that you wearing out a hobbiest jig then perhaps you should look around for one of these machines second hand. I know at the time he battled to sell it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I would start very simple and make sure the router's base plate is still centered. I find I have to realign mine every so often. Maybe it just scoots around because of vibration. I don't know.