Thread: New Table and Vessel completed

New Table and Vessel completed

Finally had some free time today before the heat set in to catch up on a couple things.

Pictures 1-2 - are a vessel I finally completed - 12" tall x 8" width - finished with tinted Danish oil (transtint amber) x 2 coats- dry for a couple weeks - thin coat of shellac/alcohol 50-50 - dry for another week - then 0000 knock down and Mezerna Medium and fine buff - Done

Pictures 3-4 are of a Northern Tool Pinic Bench Set ($95.00) I bought because I have no where to sit to any finish work or other projects. So the other morning I went to both HD and Lowes to buy 2x4's - either cedar or redwood is what I was thinking. Neither store had anything like that and had a ton of Doug fur and you could tell it still had alot of moisture in it. I really did not want to build it out of cheap wood but there were no other choices. The wood was not expensive so I decided I would take my chances and get what I needed. I thought I would take it home and lay it in the driveway and give it a few days of 110+ heat.
    Today - I cut them with my Mitre box saw which was easy and used Behr transparent cedar sealer to coat the lumber - after a short time in the sun everything was dry and it was easy to assemble - Now I have a place to sit to play around with finishes etc........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large-3.jpg   Large-4.jpg   Table-2.jpg   Table-1.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

The pyrography on the hollow form looks great. I like the table and benches, too. I hadn't seen that hardware kit before.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Your vase is very nice!

The picnic table and benches will be used a lot I bet!
    Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks - it comes with all the screws for assembly - you just need the wood - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7915_200307915

My Optima 1 is what I used for the wood burning as there was a small crack that I fixed with CA and then added the deco to hide everthing.
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 06-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Really nice vase and the table looks good Dan.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice vase and pyro work. Table looks great too.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thanks to all..........................

Very nice both projects Dan. Vessel looks real good, i like the size and shape. The picnic benches well you had me fooled on the wood intially. Goes to show its worth putting something on the good old borg lumber.
    cheers

I gave the web add to a couple friends at work that I showed the pictures to because they liked how it turned out. They (one was a woman) asked about putting it together and I explained that after the initial cuts of the 2x4's there was nothing left to do but - sand the edges - stain it and screw it together. It is a great project for someone that does not have many tools or just starting out. Actually the HD here was willing to cut the 2x4's for free so that would eliminate the need for a saw and cutting - now you down to just sanding the ruff edges, finish and assemble.................very simple project...................good also for a kid just starting out .............Dan

nice vessel dan and i like the way you incorporated the heart wood to appear like a pine cone with branches burned around it..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!