New Table and Vessel completed

Dan Mosley

Finally had some free time today before the heat set in to catch up on a couple things.

Pictures 1-2 - are a vessel I finally completed - 12" tall x 8" width - finished with tinted Danish oil (transtint amber) x 2 coats- dry for a couple weeks - thin coat of shellac/alcohol 50-50 - dry for another week - then 0000 knock down and Mezerna Medium and fine buff - Done

Pictures 3-4 are of a Northern Tool Pinic Bench Set ($95.00) I bought because I have no where to sit to any finish work or other projects. So the other morning I went to both HD and Lowes to buy 2x4's - either cedar or redwood is what I was thinking. Neither store had anything like that and had a ton of Doug fur and you could tell it still had alot of moisture in it. I really did not want to build it out of cheap wood but there were no other choices. The wood was not expensive so I decided I would take my chances and get what I needed. I thought I would take it home and lay it in the driveway and give it a few days of 110+ heat.
Today - I cut them with my Mitre box saw which was easy and used Behr transparent cedar sealer to coat the lumber - after a short time in the sun everything was dry and it was easy to assemble - Now I have a place to sit to play around with finishes etc........

Attachments

• Table-2.jpg
    Table-2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Table-1.jpg
    Table-1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Large-4.jpg
    Large-4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Large-3.jpg
    Large-3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
The pyrography on the hollow form looks great. :thumb: I like the table and benches, too. I hadn't seen that hardware kit before.

Very nice both projects Dan. Vessel looks real good, i like the size and shape. The picnic benches well you had me fooled on the wood intially. Goes to show its worth putting something on the good old borg lumber. :thumb:

I gave the web add to a couple friends at work that I showed the pictures to because they liked how it turned out. They (one was a woman) asked about putting it together and I explained that after the initial cuts of the 2x4's there was nothing left to do but - sand the edges - stain it and screw it together. It is a great project for someone that does not have many tools or just starting out. Actually the HD here was willing to cut the 2x4's for free so that would eliminate the need for a saw and cutting - now you down to just sanding the ruff edges, finish and assemble.................very simple project...................good also for a kid just starting out .............Dan