Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium size 4 in 1 screwdriver

Medium size 4 in 1 screwdriver

I had this nice 6" 4 in 1 screwdriver that I got for free years ago but I lost it recently. This is what I carry inmy tool pouch for work. I am having problems finding a replacement for it. The only place I could find it was as promotional giveaways. Which have to be purchased by the 100s. I did see wera has a compact screwdriver that converts to a full size but to change tips you have to take tips out of the handle which seems like a bit of a pain. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement. Btw that free promotional screwdriver that I got almost 20 years ago has been the best screwdriver I ever had.

Well I see them mostly near the register at hardware, autoparts stores, and like places. usually situated at checkout like candy bars. I have on that includes a couple of square drives and three sizes of nut driver if I remember right. I'll tr yand see if it has a name on it if I can remember... I also suspect Amazon would have some but could be wrong..

Did some looking and it looks as if both Klien and Stanly have several different sizes.
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 06-12-2012 at 03:16 AM.

I have several of them kicking around. They are pretty handy. If you can't find one I'll send you one of mine.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I know of 3 different options for you

1- An "autoloader" type of screwdriver. I see them at Canadian Tire and other hardware stores, and Lee Valley carries one also. This is a cool screw driver and you have to see it in action. Here I found a youtube video. IMHO this is a versatile and lightweight tool. I keep it in the kitchen drawer. I probably would not use it in the shop or on the jobsite.

2 - picquic. This one is the most rugged, IMHO. These are at all the major hardware stores around here. Again, the bits are in the handle, but they don't rattle around, and you don't have to unscrew the end cap.

3 - A reversible tip screw driver, such as this one from Milwaukee Tool. The pictures don't do it justice. each tip is reversible, and so is the shaft, so you just pop it out and flip it around and stick it back in to change tips. It's very strong and works well.

I don't care for the milwaukee one since it is designed specifically for electricians, and so one end of the shaft is single purpose. We have a no-name version at work in the server room (that a technician forgot there years ago) which has more tips in it, but it doesn't have a brand name so I don't know where else to track it down to buy one.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I'll check those out. When I looked at the stores the problem I had was finding one that was not full size but bigger than a stubby. Iirc the one I lost was 5.25" long and the handle was slimmer than a normal full size which fit perfectly in my service tool pouch I carry on my side everyday.

Okay, more info...

I went to the server room and grabbed the reversible-tip screwdriver there. It's not easy to get good shots with a built-in webcam, but I did my best.

Here, looks like an ordinary screwdriver:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	klein1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	67984

But the tip comes out, and the tip is in a reversible sleeve, which itself is in a reversible sleeve:

Name:	klein2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	67985

So when you take it all apart there are four reversible tips, for a total of 8 tips, and I think the shaft doubles as a nut driver also, but I'm not sure about the size:

Name:	klein3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	67986

We've got two phillips, two slotted, two Robertson, and two torx on it, which is extremely versatile for our use.

Best of all, I got a name off of it, Klein Tools, and looks like the company still exists in the USA, here is a link: http://www.service.kleintools.com/To.../Product/32500

We only use the Klein screwdriver in the server room. So I know it works well for taking apart computers and racks and so on. But I have no idea how it would bear up under the kind of torque you use when screwing into wood, or on a jobsite. It'll probably be fine, but I have no experience myself.

best,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Okay, more info...

I went to the server room and grabbed the reversible-tip screwdriver there. It's not easy to get good shots with a built-in webcam, but I did my best.

Here, looks like an ordinary screwdriver:

Name:	klein1.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	67984

But the tip comes out, and the tip is in a reversible sleeve, which itself is in a reversible sleeve:

Name:	klein2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	67985

So when you take it all apart there are four reversible tips, for a total of 8 tips, and I think the shaft doubles as a nut driver also, but I'm not sure about the size:

Name:	klein3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	67986

We've got two phillips, two slotted, two Robertson, and two torx on it, which is extremely versatile for our use.

Best of all, I got a name off of it, Klein Tools, and looks like the company still exists in the USA, here is a link: http://www.service.kleintools.com/To.../Product/32500

We only use the Klein screwdriver in the server room. So I know it works well for taking apart computers and racks and so on. But I have no idea how it would bear up under the kind of torque you use when screwing into wood, or on a jobsite. It'll probably be fine, but I have no experience myself.

best,
    ...art
    klein makes good tools, I have a few things from them. I have a lenox brand equivalent of that screwdriver but I think its close to 8" long I need something about 6" or a little shorter, which seems to be the difficulty, I may just have get used to the idea of a bigger screwdriver.

HD has a 7in1 and a 11 in 1 made by Klien Tools in the electrical dept. I have a couple of the 11 in 1 and like them.
    Bob
    Making saw dust in SW Louisiana

I came up with an idea I have to try. I think I maybe be able to take a barrel from a stubby multibit driver and put in a standard multibit handle like art has and end up with something that will work for me.
    http://www.service.kleintools.com/To.../Product/32396
    Last edited by Dave Black; 06-13-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Name:	P1030732.JPG 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	68006

Dave here is my collection of that type of screwdrivers except for a couple that seem to be AWOL right now.

The two red ones are made by Enders Tools USA......

They are still in business but sell by the pack to retailers. and their site site specifically mentions setting up for impulse buying right by the register...and they will private label.
    Must be why I have so many impulse buying. Actually I did field work and had one for the road and one for home plus one for each of the RV's and then sometimes I need one when I was out without one....
    PS the red Enders has held up real well but I think my favorite is the Irwin...

I would bet they have something in the size you want at a Grainger showroom.

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 06-13-2012 at 02:02 AM.