Remember when hockey....

I wonder if they knew that they were hugging someone from the other team.

Hugging is taking things too far, but to me fighting has never ever been part of the fun of watching hockey -and I grew up watching and playing a lot of hockey. Fighting is not tolerated in most other sports and I wish that the powers that be would really clamp down on it in hockey.

to me fighting has never ever been part of the fun of watching hockey -and I grew up watching and playing a lot of hockey. Fighting is not tolerated in most other sports and I wish that the powers that be would really clamp down on it in hockey.

I'm with Frank. But I suspect that the only way to do that is to make hockey non-contact. I think there is something wrong about a game in which which we teach our kids to hit each other. But I'm radical ... If I were king, I would completely shut down the "sport" of boxing for that very reason.

Well as any of you hockey players know, when the fight starts, you grab the nearest other guy to you and just stand there, but if a good fight is going on, it can be hard to watch, so looks like these two figured it out :D

Nice to think that fighting should be cleaned up, and it can get stupid, but it is part of Hockey, just like in Football, intimidation is part of the game.

In racing, cars or bikes, no one hopes for a "Crash" but everyone understands that it is part of the respective sports.

Cheers!

PS good to see Don Cherry is still on the air!! :thumb:

Rock-Em-Sock-Em highlights used to be one of my favorites!! :D

l ... If I were king, I would completely shut down the "sport" of boxing for that very reason.

I'm going out on a limb here....but I'm betting you aren't a fan of The Ultimate Fight Championship either...(neither am I)

http://www.ufc.com/

I never was any good at hockey...couldn't skate. But I did play a lot of football, so did both my son's....youngest one was "looked" at by 4 colleges to play for them. It would have been a nice way for him to play a sport he loves and get an education. He chose not to, became an electrician which he also loves.

I'd never want to "shut down" a sport or activity of any kind to just please myself....there are many who play for the love of the game, whatever that game might be.

Nice to think that fighting should be cleaned up, and it can get stupid, but it is part of Hockey, just like in Football, intimidation is part of the game.
I also palyed a lot of football and I agree that intimidation and clean hits are a part of both games. But, fights are not tolerated in football whereas they are put up with in a lot of ice hockey leagues.

PS good to see Don Cherry is still on the air!! :thumb:

Rock-Em-Sock-Em highlights used to be one of my favorites!! :D
Stu, obviously we are on the opposite sides on this. I consider Don Cherry to be an embarrasment to the CBC and Rock-Em-Sock-Em highlights gives entirely the wrong message about a game that I love.

Frank, I think you are wrong, we are most likely closer than you expect.

I played both, and a nice clean bone jarring hit in either was a wonderful thing :D

Nothing like getting that running back lined up and knocking him back a few time zones, or that great shovel check into the boards! :thumb:

If fighting is not against the rules, so it is part of the game in Hockey, if you changed the rules to make it a much stiffer fine, say you get booted from the game, and the next two games, it would still happen, but I think it would become rare.

Fights happen in football, soccer, baseball, and basketball, so to think they will not happen in Hockey is............? :dunno:

But yes, stiffing up the rules could not hurt.

Don Cherry, come on, the guy is a total throw back Neanderthal, just take him for what he is, entertainment :rofl:

Stu, It's good to hear that we are closer on this than I thought. :)

And yes fights do happen in other sports but, when people fight, they get ejected. (and, in the spirt of full disclosure :eek: , I once got ejected from fighting in a high school basketball game).

Sorry, I can't take the attitude Don Cherry that you suggest. Now, when he comes on, my TV goes off. The problem is, that a lot people take him seriously.

Nothing like getting that running back lined up and knocking him back a few time zones,

Yep...nothing like it...did I mention I was a running back?

I got hit so hard one time it literally cracked my Riddell helmet right down the center from front to back. I remember sort of coming to and the coach asking how many finger he was holding up....I of course couldn't tell I guess, but I remember him saying..."Right now Ash doesn't know what zip code he is in"

I'll always remember that hit...even though I don't remember it.:D

Yep...nothing like it...did I mention I was a running back?

I got hit so hard one time it literally cracked my Riddell helmet right down the center from front to back. I remember sort of coming to and the coach asking how many finger he was holding up....I of course couldn't tell I guess, but I remember him saying..."Right now Ash doesn't know what zip code he is in"

I'll always remember that hit...even though I don't remember it.:D

Nuff said. That 'splains sooooooo much. :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Karl

I am a little bit late getting into this, but it's like this...

If you want to argue about whether or not the radial arm saw is needed in the shop or not, I am okay with that. If you want to call my wife ugly and my daughter stupid, you have your right to free speech. But brother's when you start saying that fighting should be taking out of the game of hockey, you got my dander up!!

Hockey is unlike all the other sports. It is a fast paced, all-out game of skill, speed and brawn. After playing 60 minutes with some guys stick in your rib cage, hard jambs up agaist some plexiglass, and incidental hits, thumbs and bruises, its only natural to want to give your opponent a thump or two. With the other sports players get a few minutes rest between defense and offense plays, with hockey it's all out with only a few shift changes thrown in.

It actually clears the air in a lot of games and most refs will agree. Okay so Bruce Hood is not one of them, but most don't mind a good fight between rivals. I say let them go. I would be lying if I said I did not like a good hockey fight. I am not alone on this.

Incidentally the Jehovia Witnesses do not believe in hockey or boxing because of the violence. I have no problem with that at all. I won't darken their church with my presence because I feel very differently. I just hope they don't prsent their views to Gary Bettman. He has already hurt the game enough.

You never know which topic will provoke strong feelings, but this issue also gets me going. I learned to skate with a hockey stick in my hands at 3 or 4 yrs of age. I don't go back far enough to remember The Rocket or to have heard Foster Hewitt - except for the Canada-Russia series. But I remember the original six and Hockey Night in Canada in B&W. I remember open style playing, great puck handling and fights were something that happened very rarely. There were no designated goons or bodyguards to protect the "money players".

I remember when Keith Magnusson broke the 200 penalty minute barrier in a single season, then the Broad Street Bullies came along and then guys like Cemenko (sp?) with the Oilers was paid to break the head of anyone who laid a hand on Gretzky. By the mid 80's I was tuning out - stuff that used to draw hooking, holding and slashing penalties were just part of covering your opponent. Somewhere along the way, we lost Howie Meeker, a real student of the game and got the braying jackass Cherry. IMO he's the second leading cause of the degradation of the game - celebrating the hard hits to the exclusion of just about everything else. He also brought the ugly racist parts of the game to the public.

But Cherry just happened to fit in with the league's campaign to pander to the TV networks and "marketing" the game outside of its traditional northern fan base. Now we see hockey fights on the highlight reels - and articles in the press about the upcoming fight when team A and team B meet.

My Dad told me that in the early days of broadcasting they would switch to shots of the spectators during fights. The organists would play God Save the King (or Queen) while fights were sorted out.

Fighting was not a regular feature in the NHL 40 years ago - it was a fairly rare occurance. Now it's accepted and anticipated in every game and I really regret that this had to happen.

Don't even ask me about the designated hitter rule...

Hockey Night in Canada.............man does that bring back some memories!

If you get a chance to find and read a book called "Cold War" about the first Canada vs Russia Hockey series, it is a great trip down memory lane and a fine read as well!

1550545825.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Link to Amazon

I strongly recommend this book to fans of the sport! :thumb:

You never know which topic will provoke strong feelings, but this issue also gets me going. I learned to skate with a hockey stick in my hands at 3 or 4 yrs of age. I don't go back far enough to remember The Rocket or to have heard Foster Hewitt - except for the Canada-Russia series. But I remember the original six and Hockey Night in Canada in B&W. I remember open style playing, great puck handling and fights were something that happened very rarely. There were no designated goons or bodyguards to protect the "money players".

I remember when Keith Magnusson broke the 200 penalty minute barrier in a single season, then the Broad Street Bullies came along and then guys like Cemenko (sp?) with the Oilers was paid to break the head of anyone who laid a hand on Gretzky. By the mid 80's I was tuning out - stuff that used to draw hooking, holding and slashing penalties were just part of covering your opponent. Somewhere along the way, we lost Howie Meeker, a real student of the game and got the braying jackass Cherry. IMO he's the second leading cause of the degradation of the game - celebrating the hard hits to the exclusion of just about everything else. He also brought the ugly racist parts of the game to the public.

But Cherry just happened to fit in with the league's campaign to pander to the TV networks and "marketing" the game outside of its traditional northern fan base. Now we see hockey fights on the highlight reels - and articles in the press about the upcoming fight when team A and team B meet.

My Dad told me that in the early days of broadcasting they would switch to shots of the spectators during fights. The organists would play God Save the King (or Queen) while fights were sorted out.

Fighting was not a regular feature in the NHL 40 years ago - it was a fairly rare occurance. Now it's accepted and anticipated in every game and I really regret that this had to happen.

Don't even ask me about the designated hitter rule...

Right on Ian! In my experience, most of those who think that ice hockey is about fighting, have never played the game.