Artists sketch pencil

Frank Fusco

Last time we visited my son and our grandchildren I noticed one of the twin boys doing some interesting sketching. I asked him if he liked sketching and he answered in the affirmative. (meaning "yes" for those from Michigan. Am I in trouble now? )
His parents had brought me a package of exotic woods from their around the world adventure last year. In there was some purpleheart so I used p'heart.
I have to confess, my lathe and shop in general have been ignored for a long time. With the shoulder injuries and surgery I got away from my two passions, shooting the old style muzzle loading rifles and making sawdust. Blame depression for a big part of that also.
Making something that someone will enjoy is fun. I'm glad to be back at the lathe.Purpleheart artists pencil.jpg

That looks good Frank.... I made one for the wife to play with, then she insisted I needed to make some to sell in the booth at the markets.... I made 3 and so far have sold two... I'm sure you grandson will get lots of enjoyment out of the pencil....

Great pen and good story too Frank. Got a nice stubby look to it. Purpleheart is an interesting wood to turn. I have been fascinated with how it changes its color over time.