Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Cost-- Pricing

Project Cost-- Pricing

Ok as i stated in the original thread it has been brought to my attention on this sewing cabinet of a cost factor,, so lets see what you folks feel the this would cost.. and the price it should go for..

give me your material cost..
    your time needed to complete it..
    and the selling cost..

the dimensions are 24x36x36 with the leaf folded on to the top.. 8 drawers solid wood drawers w/ply bottoms
    Stained and Lacquer finish. no casters.

so lets see how you folks do on the answers and any questions you have on this i will try to answer.

now that i have this typed,, i think it probably should be in the design forum but if not then ok but if the mods feel it needs t be moved go for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_sewing cabinet-FINAL.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	68011
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Not nearly enough information for me to guess. Two things you already know - material costs and the time it took you to make it. Your market plays a good part in the selling price. So you want me to determine material costs to me in my area, my time given my work practices, tools, and experience, and then come up with a selling price that might work in my geographical area. A good exercise for those who might want to play, but this is not a 5 minute project. The numbers I come up with can't possibly help you.

I know I sound harsh, but I am trying to apply a good deal of realism here. You are not, none of us are, competing on a global basis, only on our own local basis. The local variables are the only ones that count for each of us.

And the bottom line is this: Is the difference between what it cost to make and deliver and the selling price worth my time and effort? What is satisfactory to you may be way inadequate to me. Or the other way around.

One more thing. You especially noted solid wood drawers and no other features and benefits. This suggests to me that the solid wood doors are more important to the builder than they are to the end user. Buyers make buying decisions on what is important and valuable to them. Only artists who create from the need to express themselves and then hope someone will resonate with what they have created, can disregard features and benefits of their 'product.' Sort of a 'neither beast nor fowl' thing.

Back to your homework, Larry. What does your local sewing shop think they will sell for? What is the commission of said shop? What are your hard costs? Do the math. Can you live with the difference? Divide that difference by the time and then ask yourself if you can live with that hourly rate. Will that hourly rate cover all your overhead expenses and leave you something to jingle in your pocket?

Sorry to be tough on you, but I want you to succeed, and asking a ballpark question as you did won't help YOU!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Just for fun 500 in materials 800 in labor plus P and OH = 1430
    Opps forgot delivery add another 150 if it was less than 50 miles.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 06-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I'm probably going to be way off Larry but I'll give it a shot. So far everything I've made I give away for free or material cost. So this exercise will be a learning experience for me.

I'm assuming you are using drawer slides.

Here goes. Drawer slides $120.00, Drawer pulls $40.00, hinges $60.00, wood $140.00.
    Time. Not sure. It would take me a couple of weeks minimum (i'm easily distracted ) You, I'd say 4 days work including finishing.

Material cost total $340.00 Selling price $650.00- $700.00 Also assuming that you are not giving a special price to a friend or relative.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

i understand your busy carol so dont worry about it, the drawers are solid wood for the purpose of cost factor for the estimating and no joinery methods mentioned for the same reason. we are just making this for a imaginary customer in your local, and using your material costs, we are not selling this threw any store or gallery its for customer 1 period.. and as for not doing me any good well this is done and gone and i am just curious as to how others would have treated this..as i was asked by the other member..and i am assuming the quality is good from all..no qualifications on that either. just stained and finished as shown.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'll have to plead the 5th for now as I would probably underestimate how much material I'd need, take three times longer to build it than I planned, not charge for delivery as I was probably going to "pass right by there" anyway, and wind up losing money on the deal.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I would agree with Chuck $1500-$1700. I figured 4 day plus 400-500 in material.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Well if i was making this down here, i would be getting a price of 800,to 850 for it. now remember i live in the sticks and the folks woun't spend a lot on something like this. If it cost to much, they'll made it there selfs.

Best advice came from Carol. Sorry i am in the ladies camp through and through. Could pile on some more but will refrain.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Carol and Rob, I may be off base here, but I don't think Larry is asking for advice. As I see it, he's putting the question out there as an exercise for others, as well as to spark some conversation. He's not asking what he should sell it for, he's asking what we would sell it for and why. He's seeking discussion, not direction.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com