chess board for this year's state fair

Dan Noren

Staff member
with the cradle nearly done, it's time to start on the projects for this year's stated fair. the first of which is the biggest of the bunch, a floating top chess board. the board itself is supported by 2 braces that are on the inside of the base, lifting the top so that for all intents and purposes, the top looks like it is floating free of the base. the base itself will be made of birch, and the frame of the top will be brazilian cherry, with walnut and figured maple for the squares. the braces will be walnut, so that they will be even darker while in the shadow of the board.

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board.jpg
    2012 fair chess board.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 106
  • braz cherry for frame walnut for braces.jpg
    braz cherry for frame walnut for braces.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 98
  • pattern for braces.jpg
    pattern for braces.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 94
after returning from running around with my brother, and going to see my nephew's new house with our dad, i did manage to get a little bit more done with the chess board. i cut and sanded to the lines the template i had made from leftover mdf (stuff is still useful), then transferred the lines to the walnut for the braces. once that was done, i cut the tenons for the mortises that will be done in two of the aprons. then i cut the curved parts, and sanded to the lines. that spindle sander is sure getting a workout on this project. then i cut the four posts to size, and called it a day, as it was getting to be around 9:30. ending the day on a high note.

Attachments

• brace tenons cut.jpg
    brace tenons cut.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
  • braces cut and sanded to lines.jpg
    braces cut and sanded to lines.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 47
  • lines transferred and ready to cut.jpg
    lines transferred and ready to cut.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 47
  • pattern for braces cut and sanded to lines.jpg
    pattern for braces cut and sanded to lines.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 50
  • posts cut to size and length.jpg
    posts cut to size and length.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 49
  • walnut for braces.jpg
    walnut for braces.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 48
nope ken, your eyesight is ok, there is a 3 degree taper to the non-mortised sides of the legs. here is an exploded pic of the board.

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board3 exploded.jpg
    2012 fair chess board3 exploded.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48
I predict ribbons. I really like the floating idea. Nice lines and structural interest on the base and a fresh choice on the materials.

sorry, picked up the mdf for the board base, but due to storms no actual work done on the chess board today. but, i will be working on it after i drop the wife :blah: off at school tomorrow.

hotter than all get out today, heard that it got to 91, with all the humidity from the storms last night. the first thing i got out of the way today was to cut the aprons to size, then cut all the tenons. then it was on to setting up the legs for mortises, then cutting them. then i checked the aprons with the braces, seemed ok. then it was on to cutting the walnut and maple for the squares. the ripping and cross cutting will be done tomorrow. then i did the test fit of the aprons and legs, there's a bit more fine tuning to do, but this worked out as i expected. i then double checked the braces and aprons, still a good fit. the last thing done today, was to cut the mortises in the aprons for the braces. it seemed to go together well, but when i set it down on all fours, there is a bit of a twist, so there will be definitely some tenon tweaking tomorrow.

Attachments

• aprons cut.jpg
    aprons cut.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 36
  • base checked with braces.jpg
    base checked with braces.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 36
  • braces installed adjustment needed.jpg
    braces installed adjustment needed.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 36
  • legs and aprons assembled.jpg
    legs and aprons assembled.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 35
  • checking braces against aprons.jpg
    checking braces against aprons.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
  • legs marked for mortising.jpg
    legs marked for mortising.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 34
  • legs mortised.jpg
    legs mortised.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 36
  • maple for squares.jpg
    maple for squares.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tenons ready.jpg
    tenons ready.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 34
  • walnut for squares.jpg
    walnut for squares.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
still trying to figure out why it twists like this, but i think that after adjusting the tenons on the braces, it will straighten out. today i resawed the stock for the squares, and planed them to 3/16" thick. then ripped them to finished width, and with the incra jig, cross cut them to square. then i assembled the squares to see how big a board i'm working with, and it's decent sized, that is a one foot steel rule next to the squares. i also got a pic of my helper, bo schmibbly as well.

Attachments

• my helper bo schmibbly.jpg
    my helper bo schmibbly.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 42
  • square stock planed.jpg
    square stock planed.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 34
  • squares cut.jpg
    squares cut.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 39
  • squares laid out with 12 inch ruler.jpg
    squares laid out with 12 inch ruler.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41
  • walnut and birch square stock ready to be planed.jpg
    walnut and birch square stock ready to be planed.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
since i had to get the laundry that the wife :blah: forgot to tell me about, i went out to the car and brought in the bit of half inch mdf that is the base for the board squares, i just could not resist, and had to check out the float factor. all i can say is wow....

Attachments

• checking float effect.jpg
    checking float effect.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 35