Grandkid Project

Tom Blank

Just finished up making three pencil boxes for the grandkids, found the project in an old American Woodworker. Spent a good bit of time working on the jig. I did make one box out of pine 2x4 scraps first just to prove to myself that the jig worked. The boxes are 10" x 2" x 2" made from Mahogany (maybe) with Maple lids. The top and bottom was one 2" x 1" stick for routing, then cut into three pieces, and finally two pieces glued together to make the fixed section. I used a plunge router with a 1/2" spiral bit to route out the cavities and a 5/8" dovetail bit to cut the chamfer for the lid to slide into. Made the lids on the table saw. Final fit and finish was done with a bench plane and a low angle block plane. Need to be very cautions, that Neander stuff is kind of interesting. 8^) They are finished with six coats of Behr's Tung Oil and several coats of wax.

IMG_6923.JPG

Slide the lid back past the joint and the top section swings out. The pivot is a brass screw.

IMG_6924.JPG

The lid slides completely out of the top.

IMG_6926.JPG IMG_6929.JPG

I don't know that kids even use pencil boxes anymore, but I enjoyed the project. They will be visiting in a couple of weeks, so I'll soon find out.

Tom

That's a great design, Tom. Who knows if they'll keep pencils in the boxes, but I'm willing to bet the grandkids will find something important to store in such a cool box. :thumb: