Leaf Gall

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This year on our pin oak by the drive I started noticing what looked like little warts on the leaves.

IMAG0985.jpg

From what I've read, it's called Leaf Gall. Anyone had luck treating or getting rid of it? Sounds like it's mostly cosmetic, but hard to treat.

I've not seen it before, but I'll bet some chainsaw therapy applied about 12" up from the ground would cure it. :whistling:

I've not seen it before, but I'll bet some chainsaw therapy applied about 12" up from the ground would cure it. :whistling:

It's one tree that will yield a lot of wood some day, but I value my life as my wife would not be pleased. :)

I've seen something similar on our oaks over the years. Doesn't seem to have done any damage to the trees though.

That's what I've read so far, seems to be just cosmetic.

Another option: BB gun practice. :D My BIL and I used to spend hours shooting leaves off aspen and oak trees with our BB guns. (Ant hills are also a lot of fun.)

No clues personally, but found some interesting tid-bits...

Clipped from here > https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qnFiBBClZ5IJ:www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/IC417.pdf+clearing+leaf+gall+from+a+pin+oak+tree&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjyk--8YWkgeQeCyrZ-6XscBukeObPlTEPn1Mh9fnK_v54noi2H3TducNhOnSNXwgc2SkUGhTQWDMXe7F8ZhgDEgMBuxR6ZMzre8AEnF4OgFU_WhNzIcATfVrKApPEPmBTf4VIE&sig=AHIEtbR0nGdgCjrbHbIJecS5HWsv8fm3qg

Succulent oak gall- {gall maker > Wasp}. Green succulent globular leaf gall resembling a
grape or gooseberry on pin oak. Hollow with loose kernel, 5 to 12 mm in diameter.
Spray as leaves are expanding in the spring.
Folk remedies from earlier times frequently included galls. Also, because the formation
of galls was not understood, they were thought to be supernatural and possessed with
future-telling powers. Dyes and inks have been obtained from galls over the past several
centuries. In more recent times, galls have been used in the production of tannic acid.
In certain instances, galls have been used as sources of food, probably because of their
high starch and sugar content.
Because most galls do not seriously affect trees,controls are not usually necessary. Also,
galls cannot be “cured” after they have formed and spraying the galls does not make them
go away. Preventive treatments must be applied before the galls form and properly timed to
coincide with the development of the plant and the attack by the gall maker. Although
treatment may be effective, it is usually not practical. The appropriate time to treat will
vary considerably from year to year and from place to place, making good control more a
matter of luck than skill.

If it comes down to it...a roaring romantic fire should even your odds with the Mrs :thumb:

I get them on the Garry Oaks around my place They don't seem to harm the trees or anything else around here and seem to go through a 7 year cycle. At the height of their cycle if you go out and stand close to one of the trees when it is fairly quiet it sounds like it is raining. Of course it is raining here all the time lately.