Garden Hod - As close as I've come to woodworking in a long time

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Bought a cedar fence board, cut it up a little bit, screwed it together, and stapled on a little hardware cloth.

Total time to make = 20 minutes.

What is a garden hod? Basically just something you can use to tote the harvest from the garden to the house, with a quick stop off at the hose to rinse off any dirt or critters on the way. Since it's cedar and galvanized, the water shouldn't be much of a problem.

Can't remember the price on the wood, but I think it was 2 or 3 bucks for the board. Already have a bunch of hardware cloth around, so that's the most expensive part.

FWW-6007.jpg

Hey, that's pretty cool, guess I get some sawdust making time this weekend after all....I got some cedar but no cloth-wire, wonder if slats would be sufficient? Sure beats scaring the neighbors by pulling up my t-shirt to carry things in :rofl:

Plenty of pics of them made with nothing but slats, which is probably even cooler!

That's really cool. i don't have any cedar,but i do have a bunch of cyprus.I think i have some hardware cloth also. Been using our grandathers easter basket.:rofl:

From the looks of your garden, you're going to need something bigger/stronger!

Thanks! I went overboard, but I got to stretch my math skills...BTW, don't zoom in or see it in person if it's to stay 'classy' :rofl: part of me wanted to go furniture grade, the other part kept saying 'yeah right, nail it & sail it'...they both 'sorta' won :D

When I first saw the item I thought it was to sifter ( don't know it is the right word) the soil so that big pieces and stones would remain inside and hence could be removed easily having a more uniform particle soil. Then I read your explanation and thought to myself hmm... bad product semantics, but after I realised that it could be used for both.

Great idea Brent!