Looking for Best Heavy Bowl turning Scraper Opinions !

Mike Turner

I am looking for the best deal on a heavy thick as possible bowl scraper...Trying to decide what to get. I am sort of leaning to a Thompsom one but I know there are some thicker ones out there. Anyone got any suggestions? Thompsom are great tools ! Thanks !!!!

I'm not sure there is a good one out there. In fact, I considered trying to manufacture one. I have a brother-in-law in Illionis with a fairly large machine shop business. He could make them easily for me. But, sure nuf, some other name outfit would copy and undersell right away. Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

Thompson makes awesome tools, but his scrapers aren't thick enough, in my opinion.

I have one like this that I like (and use) a lot:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...uct_Code=100165&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-hdbs

If 3/8" isn't thick enough, there's this one:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer..._Code=100164&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-exhdscr

Frank, I'm curious what you'd do differently if you made a bowl scraper.

Not sure what I had in mind at the time. A bit wider might be what I was thinking of. Heavy, really heavy.

I have a thick 1 1/2" that I use made sheffield England-not sure who makes it - there is no name on it but its thick and heavy duty - Made my own long handle for it

Question for Frank and others..............How would you want it made? how thick ? material?....... I was thinking the same thing as I have a friend that owns a small machine shop that I could get him to cut it for me and then I could just make the handle and grind my own angle.

The cheapest place Ive seen on Sorby is $85 plus shipping at "The Best Things"...They do go as high as high as $114..I was just curious cause the Sorby one is 3/8" thick and some of the others are 1/4" thick.

The ones Packard Woodworking sells are a little less expensive. I'm sure the Sorby scrapers are good tools*, but for a scraper I don't think the brand name is crucial (assuming it's a decent quality tool and not cheap Harbor Freight stuff). Regardless of the brand, definitely go with the 3/8" (or thicker) over a 1/4" thick model. :thumb:

*Sorby makes fine tools, but you pay a premium for the "Sorby" name on them. I've yet to see a case where an equal or better tool wasn't available from a different maker at a lower price.