Help Don Find a New Hobby

Bill Satko

In the spirit of helping a fellow woodworker and keep him from sitting in the garage, smoking cigars while browsing the web all day, I propose we offer Don some other possibilities to spend his creative time.

I will start first. At first I thought that belly lint or belly fluff collecting would be an easy way for Don to ease into another hobby.

Don Hobby 1.jpg

But on further consideration, I discounted it, as it was probably too fast of a hobby for Don and was potentially too much of a fire hazard. Next, I tried to think of the resources that were abundant in his area, so that his new hobby would not be a drain on his retirement income. Then it hit me, dirt! They have plenty of it down there in Arizona. So naturally the hobby of Hikaru Dorodango would be a perfect fit. What you say? Well, for those of you who don't understand Japanese, it is basically polished mud balls.

Don Hobby 2.jpg

Above is the finished product and the following is the start.

Don Hobby 3.jpg

The following link is for a galley of Dorodango http://www.dorodango.com/gallery.html and this link is how to make them
http://www.kyokyo-u.ac.jp/youkyou/4/english4.htm

I am sure that others in this forum can help with some other suggestions. :)

well we know he has a great supply of rocks as well and i know that rock collecting can be profitable if he finds some of the good ones,, like diamonds and such,, but he also has access to wood that some of us dont and he could be a gatherer and supply those of us that want some of his supplies and he could supplement his retirement as well..

well if vaughn was awake at this time he could get don dressed right up i have seen his skills in that in the past:)

Here's a couple of things he could do to help pass the time.
  • Buy a parrot. Teach the parrot to say "Help, I've been turned into a parrot!"
  • Follow joggers around in a car blasting "Eye of the Tiger".
  • Change his name to Simon. Speak in the third person.
  • Make vanilla pudding. Put it in a Mayo jar. Eat it in public.
  • Wear a shirt that says "Life". Hand out lemons on the street corner.

lets see, something don can do living out in the hot desert.....hmmmm...

snake charming
nude sun bathing
watch nude sun bathers
dune buggys
cactus breeding
cattle rancher
rain making

for don, youre still healthy, young enough to enjoy life, youve got grandchildren(lucky you), enjoy it all, Im sure youll find plenty of other ways to occupy your time.
as long as your brain keeps working, theres plenty of us with alot less experience that might want to pick on it a little now and then, so dont go too far away.

I've got that book (Ashleys). A person could while away a lot of hours with that book and a chunk of rope.

I have... :D

The pictures showing how to tie every one in the margin are pretty cool as well. Ashley was one of a kind.

The Graumont book was recommended by a good family friend who was a well known leather worker/saddle make and had his copy borrowed many years ago and never returned (I found it had been reprinted and made up the loss). Its a ways beyond my skill level really, but a very nice book if you're into knots at all. Some of the workmanship is impressive.