This didn't work too well

Ed Nelson

Tried turning a bowl in some cedar. thought I about had it:doh:

IMAG0016.jpg

Epoxy would work well too!.............I had a couple cherry blanks sent to me from South Carolina. I roughed them out and both cracked. One crack went 70-80% around the circumference of the bowl. When I posted photos..mqay said pitch it......the guy who had generously sent me the blanks suggested I try saving it with epoxy and instant coffee. Worked extremely well. My MIL snapped that bowl up and it now resides in Illinois. It might be one of the best bowls I've turned.

OK, I may try gluing it back, if I can find the missing piece! It was getting too late last night and I had some other things I needed to get done! I would like to get some semblance of a bowl done though! The cedar was some that Dad gave me when I was out in MO. so I still have a few chunks. It is very wet! Felt like I needed a raincoat! I did try using some CA on some cracks in the heart wood and that seemed to work OK. I was using a skew to try and smooth the outside a little.

Ken, I understand the epoxy, but what's with the instant coffee?

I'm not Ken, he is taller than me, but I know that the coffee grounds are about..... :D

They fill in the void, if you just use the glue, it looks like......... glue filling in a void :eek:

If you stuff the void with coffee grounds, then it looks dark, almost black, which really hides a lot of the "Glue filled void"............... it that makes sense :rolleyes: :D

I'm not Ken, he is taller than me, but I know that the coffee grounds are about..... :D

They fill in the void, if you just use the glue, it looks like......... glue filling in a void :eek:

If you stuff the void with coffee grounds, then it looks dark, almost black, which really hides a lot of the "Glue filled void"............... it that makes sense :rolleyes: :D

:thumb: Gotcha!

Ouch!!!

Last turning I did was a 8" platter out of northern white pine.

I was almost there, around 3/32" when------wham:eek: :eek: :eek:

I took off a tad too much where the back of the platter met the 4" face plate.
I thought one of those airforce helicoptors had invaded my shop.:huh:
I never did find that last piece so I could glue it back together

The upside of turning cedar is that it is very easy to turn.
The downside is that it is very brittle and those blow-outs will happen pretty frequently.
Get a new hunk and start over. Yours is a typical cedar story. BTW, if it was wet, expect lots of cracks.