Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: state fair clock entry

state fair clock entry

hear goes another one! this time the clock is going to be a bit more portable than my last go round. for this year, i've given some thought about the grandfather clock, and got to thinking. then i remembered a bit of japanese architecture called a torii, and the idea formed then and there. i just finished the sketchup version, and hope to get going on the real one soon. it will be all cherry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 clock.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

so how tall is this dano? looks top heavy to me..the top looks oriental but the tenons on the bottom dont seem to go with the style but i am not a oriental style guy so i may be out of order here
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

the whole thing is roughly a touch under 17 inches tall, and 14 inches wide at the top. the base is 8 3/4 inches wide, by 5 3/4 inches deep. i think that ought to keep it steady enough. i based the design on a combination of the arches in the other two pictures. after seeing the pics, i noticed that i forgot to add the lower stretchers, i'll have to remedy that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 clock rough dimensions.jpg   arch 1.jpg   arch 2.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry has apoint both of theother two arches are anchored in terra firma (for Larry that the earth)
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

with the lower stretchers....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 clock.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

i just laid out the base's footprint on some graph paper. i think it will be sturdy enough, as it is 8.75" by 5.25 inches. this is more along the lines of a mantle type of clock.
    benedictione omnes bene

I like it Dan cant wait to see it when done
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I like it too . If it does become top-heavy, you could expand on the theme and copy the top piece twice, flip them and add them in-line to each footing with another stretcher going across face-wise...just mumbling out loud ...looking forward to the progress!

after picking up the wife from school, a bit of grocery shopping, a follow up visit to the doc (bp right where it ought to be with the prescribed meds), i managed to get the parts for the clock cut today. going to work on the odd problem with the chess board base tonight, and finish up the design for the birdhouse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parts 2.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

got a lot done today. got all the mortises and tenons cut. had to cut new outer posts after mortising the originals (wound up being too close to the edges for my liking). also found that i will have to cut new main uprights after i found that they were a bit shy of the top cross member. i took a lesson from one of the pics and decided to add end caps to the outer posts, made a bit of a difference. i also found that i had cut the main posts shorter than planned by a few inches, but as bob ross says, it's a happy lil mistake that works out well. busy day, but it looks like it will turn out better than i expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all mortises cut.jpg   all tenons cut.jpg   first test assembly.jpg   lower cross member.jpg   second test assembly.jpg  

test assembly with outer posts.jpg   test assembly with top cross member curve cut.jpg   test assembly with clock hole cut.jpg   test assembly with end caps.jpg   test fit with clock in place.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene