state fair clock entry

Dan Noren

Staff member
hear goes another one! this time the clock is going to be a bit more portable than my last go round. for this year, i've given some thought about the grandfather clock, and got to thinking. then i remembered a bit of japanese architecture called a torii, and the idea formed then and there. i just finished the sketchup version, and hope to get going on the real one soon. it will be all cherry.

Attachments

• 2012 clock.jpg
    2012 clock.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 43
so how tall is this dano? looks top heavy to me..the top looks oriental but the tenons on the bottom dont seem to go with the style but i am not a oriental style guy so i may be out of order here:)

the whole thing is roughly a touch under 17 inches tall, and 14 inches wide at the top. the base is 8 3/4 inches wide, by 5 3/4 inches deep. i think that ought to keep it steady enough. i based the design on a combination of the arches in the other two pictures. after seeing the pics, i noticed that i forgot to add the lower stretchers, i'll have to remedy that.

Attachments

• 2012 clock rough dimensions.jpg
    2012 clock rough dimensions.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 24
  • arch 1.jpg
    arch 1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 28
  • arch 2.jpg
    arch 2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 21
i just laid out the base's footprint on some graph paper. i think it will be sturdy enough, as it is 8.75" by 5.25 inches. this is more along the lines of a mantle type of clock.

I like it too :thumb:. If it does become top-heavy, you could expand on the theme and copy the top piece twice, flip them and add them in-line to each footing with another stretcher going across face-wise...just mumbling out loud :wave:...looking forward to the progress!

after picking up the wife :blah: from school, a bit of grocery shopping, a follow up visit to the doc (bp right where it ought to be with the prescribed meds), i managed to get the parts for the clock cut today. going to work on the odd problem with the chess board base tonight, and finish up the design for the birdhouse.

Attachments

• parts 2.jpg
    parts 2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 26
got a lot done today. got all the mortises and tenons cut. had to cut new outer posts after mortising the originals (wound up being too close to the edges for my liking). also found that i will have to cut new main uprights after i found that they were a bit shy of the top cross member. i took a lesson from one of the pics and decided to add end caps to the outer posts, made a bit of a difference. i also found that i had cut the main posts shorter than planned by a few inches, but as bob ross says, it's a happy lil mistake that works out well. busy day, but it looks like it will turn out better than i expected.

Attachments

• all mortises cut.jpg
    all mortises cut.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 26
  • all tenons cut.jpg
    all tenons cut.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 24
  • first test assembly.jpg
    first test assembly.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
  • second test assembly.jpg
    second test assembly.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 26
  • lower cross member.jpg
    lower cross member.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 25
  • test assembly with clock hole cut.jpg
    test assembly with clock hole cut.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 29
  • test assembly with end caps.jpg
    test assembly with end caps.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 35
  • test assembly with outer posts.jpg
    test assembly with outer posts.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 28
  • test assembly with top cross member curve cut.jpg
    test assembly with top cross member curve cut.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 29
  • test fit with clock in place.jpg
    test fit with clock in place.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 44
well, i found out where the error causing the gap between the top of the posts and the top cross member. i didn't mark where the outer part of the posts would be, and cut the angle to where the inner mark was. silly me. i made a new top cross member, made a few adjustments, and the parts fit nicely. now for the really fun part, fitting the outer cross members to the outer support posts, and the main posts, should be fun.

Attachments

• top cross member fixed.jpg
    top cross member fixed.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 20
this morning while the wife :blah: was in school, i started fitting the outer support posts for the clock. i managed to get one done before she called to be picked up. the cross members go all the way through the supports. i'll be getting the other set done tomorrow.

Attachments

• right side supports in place.jpg
    right side supports in place.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 20
as with the chess board, didn't get to post this last night. i finished fitting out all the parts, and now all that's left is the finishing.

Attachments

• fully fitted out clock.jpg
    fully fitted out clock.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
I love it! the idea of giving it the japanese look is great!, and this idea can lead to many variations you could use, for instance use acrilyc clear plastic fo the back of the clock, or paint in red the pillars like in real japanese gates, and many more...
Did you draw it completely or did you get the proportions from somewhere?

Simple design with awesome results!