Dust collection wizards...

well escavation is complete and the new pipe will be put in place today, and hopefully be able to make a new gate and have the right pipe to connect it all together:) once its done will drop in pic..

well fresh update,, how many dumb moves can one make in one project got the pipe got some fittings but.... the fittings dont fit the pipe..so now need to find right fittings..:(

Last edited:
I haven't a clue as to how to figure this, but according to the specs on my DC which is a 2 HP from HF, running all 4" pipes, I supposedly am getting 1600 CFM ... not sure how big the impeller is, either 12 or 13 inch, no bigger.

Chuck, the specs Harbor Freight shows were written by Chinese engineers marketing guys on drugs. Sort of like the horsepower ratings on a handheld router. ;)

Seriously, they might be able to get 1600 CFM out of that machine with no plumbing on it, rolling downhill with a strong tailwind, right at the moment a bolt of lightning hits the transformer on the power pole outside of the testing lab. :D

Not saying it's a bad DC (heck, I've got one), but I take their specs with a big ol' grain of salt.

Chuck, the specs Harbor Freight shows were written by Chinese engineers marketing guys on drugs. Sort of like the horsepower ratings on a handheld router. ;)

Seriously, they might be able to get 1600 CFM out of that machine with no plumbing on it, rolling downhill with a strong tailwind, right at the moment a bolt of lightning hits the transformer on the power pole outside of the testing lab. :D

Not saying it's a bad DC (heck, I've got one), but I take their specs with a big ol' grain of salt.

Yup, the impeller is probably 9.75" (which is what mine measured at) or maybe 10.5" (if I feel like believing some other measurements :D). Mine works great at short runs, but I do occasionally wish for more juice (on the planer especially). Using somewhat more believable performance data (like that from Cincinnati Fan) I reckon I'm probably getting close to 400CFM on a good day with 10' of 5" flex and a pre-separator. Picks up the chips anyway :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
Chuck, the specs Harbor Freight shows were written by Chinese engineers marketing guys on drugs. Sort of like the horsepower ratings on a handheld router.

Seriously, they might be able to get 1600 CFM out of that machine with no plumbing on it, rolling downhill with a strong tailwind, right at the moment a bolt of lightning hits the transformer on the power pole outside of the testing lab.

Yup, the impeller is probably 9.75" (which is what mine measured at) or maybe 10.5" (if I feel like believing some other measurements :D). Mine works great at short runs, but I do occasionally wish for more juice (on the planer especially). Using somewhat more believable performance data (like that from Cincinnati Fan) I reckon I'm probably getting close to 400CFM on a good day with 10' of 5" flex and a pre-separator. Picks up the chips anyway :rolleyes:

Well, I did say I had no clue as to how to figure it, just reading the specs... and you both may be right on the draw... my shop is covered with a layer of dust, even though I religiously run the DC when I turn or sand... the impeller is a good size... I know bigger than 9 or 10, but without taking the front off the machine, can't measure since I'm sure it's smaller than the housing which is at least 12 maybe 13 inches across... it does run a 2 Horse motor... I like the DC.. serves my purpose.... all that said, I've dealt with the Chinese over the years of my career enough to know to take much of their "specs" with a grain of salt..

I use my planer outside 'cause there's no way I could ever contain the mess that comes off with a DC or even want it in the shop.

QWell, I did say I had no clue as to how to figure it, just reading the specs... and you both may be right on the draw... my shop is covered with a layer of dust, even though I religiously run the DC when I turn or sand... the impeller is a good size... I know bigger than 9 or 10, but without taking the front off the machine, can't measure since I'm sure it's smaller than the housing which is at least 12 maybe 13 inches across... it does run a 2 Horse motor... I like the DC.. serves my purpose.... all that said, I've dealt with the Chinese over the years of my career enough to know to take much of their "specs" with a grain of salt..

I use my planer outside 'cause there's no way I could ever contain the mess that comes off with a DC or even want it in the shop.

When I took mine apart to measure it from morbid curiosity there was a fairly good sized gap between the impeller and the housing (I didn't measure it but it was decent sized) so I wouldn't take the impeller housing as any guidance on the size of the impeller itself (I've heard rumors that the Rikon 2HP with is supposed to actually be a 12" wheel actually fits - I had a hard time figuring the $$ value vs another used impeller assembly as far as doing a replacement).

Turning and sanding are both a PAIN even more on the collection side than the DC side so I feel your pain there.

I'll second Vaughn's question on the filter.. Moving to a Wynn 35a filter helped a LOT with the airflow (more sq feet, less restriction) and residual dust. I used the stock filter bags for about an hour of testing so I don't have a good feel for the long term dustiness....

...Moving to a Wynn 35a filter helped a LOT with the airflow (more sq feet, less restriction) and residual dust. I used the stock filter bags for about an hour of testing so I don't have a good feel for the long term dustiness....

I did the same thing. :yes: I turned it on briefly with the stock filter bags just to see them puff up, but I knew from the get-go that a 30 micron filter would be ineffective.

well finally got it hooked up and thanks to jay and others i got a DC hookup that i think is gonna be just fine.. i can even hear the differnce, and i dont hear well sometimes:)

went all 6 to the gate and then to 5 on the machine..
BEFORE
IMG_2025.jpg
AFTER
Sander DC.jpg

Nice, So you jackhammered up the floor, plumbed new pipe and put down new concrete? Now that's dedication!

well escavation is complete and the new pipe will be put in place today, and hopefully be able to make a new gate and have the right pipe to connect it all together:) once its done will drop in pic..

well fresh update,, how many dumb moves can one make in one project got the pipe got some fittings but.... the fittings dont fit the pipe..so now need to find right fittings..:(

Hmm Larry & a pipe dream might make a good combination. Looks like it turned out OK Larry.

Last edited:
we will find out,, right now its temporary and can be changed if needed.. well we gave it a good test last night and it works great.. tom even was impressed by how much better it was..

Last edited: