Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizing tank

Stabilizing tank

This took a lot less time than thought.
    Tank is from Curtis Seebeck at Turntex. The suction part is a refrigerator compressor with a tube hooked to the suction side coupled to the tank inlet. It pulls 28 mmhg without a sweat. Compressor $40, tubing $4, brass connector Free because it was the last one at Lowes and the clerk got tired of looking for a price! The tank was made for me so I'm not including the price for that. You really smart guys can do this with a Mason jar. After stabilizing, the blanks need to be baked off to cure, so my wife found a toaster oven at Goodwill for $4...it works great although I hope to toast a bagel while my blanks are cooking. There is a large box of stuff in the shop that needs stabilizing so more pics when that happens. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tank.jpg   535 (676 x 507).jpg  
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    thanhs for showing that Jim, I was wondering about a refer compressor for pulling a vacuum. Also I wonder if the pressure pot from a spray painting outfit would work for the vacuum tank....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Looks good Jim. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey Don! Thanks Bernie!
    The idea resides with Curtis...a link on his website. I just followed the diagram barely! Once I looked at it, the solution really just smacked me in the face. I asked the guy I bought it from what the deal was and in a nutshell...
    There are 3 ports on a fridge compressor, vaccum to suck the freon thru the system, exaust to vent the suction and a fill port that has a valve stem. This is used to add freon. I covered the exhaust port with a couple layers of cheese cloth to keep stuff out. The suction port is connected to the tank. Seems like a sealed system since it's filled with oil. More pic's on request. The pressure pot is in transit...Tony is sending me one from Hawaii...right Tony?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Very cool, Jim. Looking forward to seeing the pens and stuff that come out of the stabilized blanks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

hey jim did you fry your eggs on top of the compressor i see you had a sprker laying next to it as though you had and then you forgot the pam to help with clean up.. and Don from whati have read that pressure pots do work.. but they are better for spraying finish and am looking to get one in good shape
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I also asked you at IAP but I'll ask here to so others can see.
    What did you use for tubing?
    I have found that tubing softens after a while from the solvent fumes being pulled through it. I have to replace mine periodically. Would like to find a solvent resistant tubing.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Naive question here: what does this do, and how does it work?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Roger if ya take turning blanks and put them in the tank with a resin/poly solution and pull a vacuum it will cause the air to leaft the cells of the wood and the resin will replace it. It is especially effective on soft and punkey wood.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Pretty cool Jim. I've never seen a picture of the setup using the refrig thing before. Looks like fun. A pressure pot will work and there is a tutorial on IAP that shows how to set it up so you can use it for pressure or vacuum.
    "We the People ......"