Happy Summer everyone

Happy summer back atcha, Don. It's 100º at 3% humidity here. It may be dry, but I'm missing the 80º weather in LA right about now.

Ah, yes! The night known to Shakespeare as 'Midsummer.' It's 34º today, which us, uh, hot. Actually about 93 American degrees. I'ts cooled down to 31 right now, so I'm in my shed enjoying the cool and cleaning tools.

It got in the 90's here today, but got to spend the day outside cooking for the Institute's summer cook-out.

206110_4193101715412_476141547_n.jpg

We cooked two legs of Bison (big buffalo wings), one was 75 lbs, the other was 65 lbs.
547237_4193545766513_776997024_n.jpg

We also cooked two small wild boars and some stuffed red fish. Unfortunately I had to leave early today, so only got a small taste test of each.

Wow Darren, that's quite a cooker. Is one side the firebox and the other the smoke chamber, or do you make a fire in each box? If it's the latter, what's the piece connecting the two?

Wow Darren, that's quite a cooker. Is one side the firebox and the other the smoke chamber, or do you make a fire in each box? If it's the latter, what's the piece connecting the two?

They are two Big John Rotisserie grills. There is a pile of charcoal on the front and back sides. Our maintenance folks had a stainless drip pan bent and welded up for each that sits in the center, can see it in the second photo.

The boar was cooked in a La caja china box, quite amazing how well it comes out cooked in one, we've done several different sized pigs before and each are done perfectly to the point the bones pull right out. It is a roasting box, so no smoke hits the meat.