Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT Win XP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

OT Win XP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I will swear this publicaly again.........

"My next computer system WILL NOT be a Windoze system, promise, cross my heart!!!!"

OK, now that I have that off my chest.......

So, I get the Win XP Pro trial download from MS, this is after running the "MS Upgrade Advisor" program, make that downloading and installing it, then running it.............

......... I get told that my computer passed with flying colors and is ready for XP

OK, I down load the 580 Mb ISO, burn that to a disc, stick it in the drive of my machine and it says............................

"This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine" ..........

Well poof me........what????

OK dig deeper, is seems that windoze in all thier wisdom have decided that they will ONLY offer the FREE TRIAL version of Windoze XP Pro x64, and if you do not have a 64 bit chip in your machine, well, you can't use this software.............

OK.......... why did the "Upgrade Advisor" not advise me of this.........

Bad words have been said, lots of them, most of the day.........

So I do some digging, and I find that if I install the SP2, I can run the XP Pro x64 on my x32 machine....... but I have to have XP installed to do so, I cannot run XP SP2 on Win 2K.......(where is the emocon for pulling your hair out, I'm tired of banging my head??).............So what exactly do I do now????????

I guess I could download the trial version of XP home, but that does not support multi lingual mode, like English and Japanese (you know, like Mac OSX does at the flip of a virtual switch).

If there is any kind soul out there than can shed some light on this subject, I'd be rather greatful.

Richard Leshner had already helped me out a ton, thanks for that Richard!

Add to that, I've been manning the L shop by myself from 10 AM to near on 11PM now, yep, just me, and I'm not had the best day..........

Freaking stupid computers..............
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Not much help here. Actually no help. But I have found that Windows 2000 is virtually trouble free on my 3 computers. I only have XP (Tablet version) on my Tablet for work. It's what came with it and it works fine.

Just a suggestion, but if you can find a copy of W2K you might want to try it. I have no plans of changing to anything else until I have absolutely have too!! I just do not have problems with this OS! I dread the day it is finally so obsolete that I have to change to something else.

Yea, not much help but I tried.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Jeff...............

Check this thread out.....

New Toy <-

I have Win 2K Pro multilingual on all of my machines, I've resisted the whole XP thing, but now, with the new camera, the software that transfers the video from the HD on the camera to the computer is ONLY for XP

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

O! I see.

Will remember that if I buy a new camera.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Stu, I'm sure you've already checked this, and it may be in the camera thread, but have you checked to see if there is a driver available for the camera to run on W2K?

Stu,

Is the program you need to run "Picture Navigator"? Might try this site...in the middle they have a down load of it for XP and 2K Pro...

http://www.jvc.com/custrel/index.jsp

Also try contacting the place on the net where you bought it for advice/direction.

Background - I have spent the last 10 years working in the group that supports the OS load for roughly 150K Windows desktops in a Fortune 5 company.

Having personally attempted to upgrade from W2K to WXP at least 8 times at home and watched innumerable attempts at work, my strong recommendation is that you back up all your personal material, do a complete wipe and clean load of WXP SP2 if you decide to move from W2K.

Also, I strongly suggest that you upgrade to WXP SP2 for numerous reasons. However the strongest are that W2K goes out of support in the not too distant future which means no more security upgrades. The second is that the security of XP against virus etc. really is significantly better than W2K albeit not great (which tells you where W2K really is ). The third is that you will find more and more any periphreal you want to buy is not going to have a driver for W2K.

The one caution that I have is that if you do anything but the basic web/email stuff across the internet, you may want to shoot the firewall that comes with WXP SP2. I had to turn mine off at home and it's totally unused at work.

Stu,

Maybe this will help....... Attachment 6001

Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.

I'll second some of what Chip is saying. We're flushing ALL our W2K workstations. It's an OS whose time has passed. For now, XP pro is the way to go. One thing to try: get a bootable install disk. You may need to change your bios settings so that you can boot to it. Then install XP into a different directory from the default. This will essentially give you a dual boot machine. I *do* run the XP firewall (gave up on zonealarm).

If your machine is pretty robust, you might want to think about virtualization. For example, I'm running Parallels on this machine right now, inside XP. Inside parallels, I've got a full install of Linux (fedora) running. By the way, there's no such thing as a Mac anymore... there's just a mac interface overlay... underneath, they're running a watered down version of Linux. In any case, if you want to go virtual, you need a fairly recent system, so that might not work well on an older machine. But since you're hacking in your shop all the time, you may as well hack your machine as well...

Thanks,

Bill

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Virus? What's a virus?

Stu, stop pulling your hair out. You just don't have to do that anymore!!!! Pick up the Mini Mac for $600 if the smaller machine will do for you. I would be willing to bet that you will be satisfied enough to get a larger Mac before 6 months is up.

Back-up all your files onto an external drive. The Mac will read a PC hard drive if you use a FAT format. You can get programs for the Mac that will allow you to read/convert PC files to Mac usable files. The saying goes, "if you think you should be able to do it, On a Mac, you can." I sure have found that to be true.
    My brother bought my big PC last month and I don't have a PC in my whole house!

I haven't had a computer crash or lost data in over 4 years. I have virus protection on here but it has nothing to do. There just isn't any use in writing a virus for the Mac. It can't get where it wants to go. If one does automatically download, it pops up on the desk top with a red face. Uh.... you weren't suppose to see me.
    Just delete it. hehehehehe

DT