Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time For a New Computer Desk

Time For a New Computer Desk

It's time for a new computer desk for me. I've been getting along with a little flat pack thing for the last 15 years. Here's the latest iteration.

The Cintiq is already on a mount by Ergotron that allows it to be swung out and dropped down into my lap. With this desk there'd also be room for my MacBook Pro. I'm thinking about a neat little KVM extender from Black Box that would allow me to put the computer elsewhere and connect via CAT5. Only problem is, I don't think it will handle two video displays. I'd have to use a second video over CAT5 unit for the Cintiq.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Very industrial, but I like the cubby holes to keep the stuff off the top of the desk.

I've been sitting at a messy unorganized desk for years, and I'd really like to get something else as well.

The only difference is I'd like to get one with a mechanized height adjustment. Just can't figure out if I want to spend $1000 for an already engineered and working mechanism, or try and DIY.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Great idea, Dave. I have been thinking the same thing for a while. While at the San Diego COunty Fair and the Design in Wood Show last week, I saw a couple of really great desks, the design of which tickled my fancy. Gotta do some doodling as well. Meanwhile back at the ranch with the secondhand thing I picked up at the thrift shop, I am thinking about cutting a little off the legs. The height is wrong for me and I would like to work this issue out before I design and build something. Not interested in making it adjustable. Too much trouble, for once it is right, it would never change. Gonna try and get it right from the gitgo. How did you determine your height and what is a Ergotron?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Thanks Brent and Carol.

Brent, what sort of height change are you thinking about?

Ergotron is a company that makes mounting hardware for computer monitors and flat TVs. I'm using one of their mounts for the Cintiq (on the left) because it allows me to have the monitor up in a vertical position as well as pull it down in my lap for drawing and retouching images and stuff. The mount also allows the display to swivel so I can turn it as I would a pad of paper when drawing on it.

The height was drawn at standard desk height--29"--but I would play with that before building.

@Brent - look at linear actuators. You'd only need one at around a hundred bucks. Run it off a wallwart. Use Accuride drawer slides to guide the vertical movement. A number of years ago I designed and built an adjustable pulpit for wheelchair bound people. It had vertical, horizontal, and angular adjustment. Three actuators, two sets of slides and one pair of very good hinges [no play]. Red oak with paduak trim to match the built in pipe organ in the chapel in which it was to be used. There is a pretty good supplier in WA state. I can dig up a link if you are interested. You could go from slouching to standing at the same desk. How kewel is that?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

hey dave i can hook you up with a guy that is pretty good at using sketchup and he could get rid of all your jaggy lines from your present design for you and he is a real nice guy to chat with as well.. he might even be able to teach you something, he did me and i know i am old
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Brent, what sort of height change are you thinking about?

Ergotron is a company that makes mounting hardware for computer monitors and flat TVs. I'm using one of their mounts for the Cintiq (on the left) because it allows me to have the monitor up in a vertical position as well as pull it down in my lap for drawing and retouching images and stuff. The mount also allows the display to swivel so I can turn it as I would a pad of paper when drawing on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    @Brent - look at linear actuators. You'd only need one at around a hundred bucks. Run it off a wallwart. Use Accuride drawer slides to guide the vertical movement. A number of years ago I designed and built an adjustable pulpit for wheelchair bound people. It had vertical, horizontal, and angular adjustment. Three actuators, two sets of slides and one pair of very good hinges [no play]. Red oak with paduak trim to match the built in pipe organ in the chapel in which it was to be used. There is a pretty good supplier in WA state. I can dig up a link if you are interested. You could go from slouching to standing at the same desk. How kewel is that?
    Still toying with the idea of a stand up desk. I've been looking at a number of mechanisms that could do the raising, but they generally want a pretty penny. I figure I'd just get the mechanism anyway and build my 'ideal' desk around that.

Carol, that sounds exactly like what I'd be looking for. I'd like the option of either standing or sitting, so that's pretty much a similar application.

I made a stand for my current desk to give it a shot. Had to trim it down a bit and am just waiting for the finish to cure before I try it tomorrow.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Nice-looking design, Dave. For me, the cubby holes would become dust and dog hair bins, but I do like the idea of having lots of shallow storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey dave i can hook you up with a guy that is pretty good at using sketchup and he could get rid of all your jaggy lines from your present design for you and he is a real nice guy to chat with as well.. he might even be able to teach you something, he did me and i know i am old
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Larry, I might take you up on that. thanks for looking out for me. Brent, wouldn't a stool be easier? Make the desk tall and sit on a stool when you don't want to stand. You could do a frame similar to mine, in wood if you'd rather, with a stretcher to use as a foot rest. Remember that split top drafting table I did? the fellow who wanted it originally wanted the height to be adjustable. After talking about it we decided it would really only get used at either the low position or the high one but not in between and then, most likely it wouldn't get changed often. Instead of a complex Rube Goldberg mechanism, I ended up drawing two sets of legs. There's a stretcher that, in the high position is out front to be used as a foot rest but in the lowered positon, the stretcher is shifted back so you don't bang your shins.Vaughn, there won't be room in the cubbies for dust and dog hair, which, although we haven't had a dog in 4 or 5 years, we somehow still have plenty of.

so dave, when are you going to come out to the east coast to one of these woodworking coops in brooklyn, like makeville studio, or 3rd ward and teach a few classes?(I m guessing they get some kind of draw if they have woodworking shows there that get a decent seletion of vendors)
    If you can get enough students youd be able to enjoy a small vacation in the big apple and make some pocket change besides.
    You can count me in if you ever come to this side of the country.
    Human Test Dummy