Thread: Trip Info Needed

Trip Info Needed

Since many of my e-friends have moved to this site I will also post this here.

I previously asked for some trip information a while back in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=trip

Now I have plotted out the sights which my Dad and I are most interested in. The heavy majority of the places are found in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nevada with lots of open holes in the mid west. Now I'm thinking that maybe we should fly into Vegas and rent a car from there. This would open up the schedule and we could hit Washington and Oregon, also some of my favorite states. Did a search last night for rentals and came across a good deal on a PT Cruiser convertible. The idea of a convertible sounds fun but I was wondering if that would be a bad idea since we will be travelling in historically hot states during July. Just looking for others' opinions on what they think about the convertible. Is it silly to be driving around getting a head burn?
    Jim

Jim, unless you are going to be going through AZ and NM at about 100 mph in the middle of the night, you do NOT want a convertible around here in July. It gets hot---I have to go to Vegas at the end of July for AWFS and it will be 110 in the shade there--and not much shade. The convertible will be nice for Washington and Oregon and Northern California at that time of year, but not around Vegas, AZ and NM.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Nancy's right, it does get hot, but on the other hand, convertibles have air conditioning, so with the top up it should be bearable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The biggest disadvantage with the PT convertible, considering you're on a trip, is cargo space and security.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Jim,

All those states have mountains. I flew into Denver last year, and tried to rent a little four cylinder car to drive over the mountains to the conference I was attending. I was strongly discouraged, and pointed towards a nice 6-cyl murano. Believe me, I was very happy I allowed myself to be redirected. Even though it was all interstates, the extra power came in pretty handy, especially on mountain grades in thunderstorms...

Just a thought,

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    pointed towards a nice 6-cyl
    Excellent point. I was thinking fuel efficient, but now I have to think of power at the same time.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    Is it silly to be driving around getting a head burn?
    Get a hat
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    Excellent point. I was thinking fuel efficient, but now I have to think of power at the same time.
    As a once and former serious traveler of the US highways and byways. Get a mid-sized car for those long distances, you'll be happier.
    -Ned