Help finding wood in CNY

ed sautter

I am helping a friend repair two pieces of farm equipment that were for horses. He has a running gear (wagon frame) and an old potato digger. He's looking for something like ash for the wagon and ash or maple for the potato digger. I have no suppliers for these thicker pieces. I can get it in 3/4 but 2" or 4" is not something I can find here in Central New York with my contacts. Any help with a supplier would be great. I have sizes of that helps.

Got any Amish around? You might be able to locate an Amish saw mill that'd cut the wood to your specs.

BTW, white oak gets used in a lot of the Amish horse-drawn equipment, so that might be an alternative.

ed, when I rented a house up in woodstock a year ago or so, the owner of the home brought me up to a guy a bit south of albany off of 87. I dont know how far you are from 90, but Id guess from the syracuse area and 90, this guy is approx one hour or less away
I lost his card, I remember his name was dave, but I contacted the home owner and asked him to send me his number, if he sends it to me, Ill pm you the info.
He sold tons of lumber out of his small farm, and I remember when I purchased ash and sycamore from him, he took me into his barn and showed me all the 2inch ash he had in there, but I wasnt looking for anything like that then.
I remember he had it all lined up and labeled in the barn,

they are pretty good with emails as I remember, so when I get back Ill check to see if they sent me info.

Attachments

• bed 593 (Medium).jpg
    bed 593 (Medium).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
  • bed 594 (Medium).jpg
    bed 594 (Medium).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Too bad you aren't closer. I have ash trees dying all over the place and the lumber is at low prices. Ironically, 3 of my sons are working in the Syracuse area and if there was a way to have them haul the lumber I could easily saw it.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll check out the places listed. I did find a local guy with a portable mill that has it in stick. It is green but for what I plan to do with it a bit of drying in the barn and this fall it will be at a better moisture content to use. It's for a wagon axel so it doesn't need to be that special. As I write this I am wondering if any of the skids we get in are of that size. It could be out of something the like as it is under the bed of the wagon and not really seen. I guess before I leave work tonight I will be rummageing through the skid pile and see if there is anything useable. But thanks guys for the help.