Thread: Procrastinating

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Procrastinating

I was given a reminder this week end about the the danger of putting off till tomorrow what needs to be done today. Yesterday I received a call from a friend of mine's wife who I know from church. She told me that her husband was in the hospital ready to have surgery. It turn out he had a very very severely impacted tooth that should have been pulled months ago. He put it off way to long. To further complicate things he is a diabetic and his blood sugar was way over 400. They did the surgery and he may loose some of the feeling in his jaw as well ad need to do jaw exercises. He will spend at least1 more day in the hospital. This is an educated man who has a college degree but he did not feel they could afford the trip to the dentist since they don't have dental insurance. The long and the short of it is don't put off what need to be done. It certainly motivated me I went out this morning in the 90 degree heat fora 2 mile walk to kick start my exercise program that I have been putting off. So what have you been procrastinating about.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Yeah! I got one at home. My wife.

I am glad you have decided not to procrastinate when it comes to your health.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

I procrastinate about woodworking projects a lot, and about other things I procrastinate about procrastinating. Not with my health, though. I just came back this morning from getting a clean bill from and ophthalmologist over a temporary loss of vision I suffered a few weeks ago (lost the focus in my right eye for about 6 hours.) The fact that I have government health care means I don't have to procrastinate, but I still know a lot of people who do.

Your health is too important to mess with. If that coffee table doesn't get finished on time, you'll live, but you can't say the same if you're putting off seeing the doctor.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I stopped procrastinating today and finally got my standing desk at the right height. 42" seems to work pretty well. So far, so good. Monitor is a little low, but I have an adjustable arm for that coming this week. I think i'm going to like it. If I can use it consistently for a month, I might just go about upgrading the entire desk to something nicer.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Finishing.....I love working wood but.... Finishing is a largely unknown subject for me. I will often wait extreme amounts of time between completing the mechanics of working the wood and applying the finish.

In one case I had a turned cherry pedestal table that sat on my assemble bench for over a year waiting for me to apply a finish.....
    Ken
    ------

Im lazy and often frightened when it comes to health related stuff, but I never proscratinate over anything. Anything.
    If I decide on something, I go at it with gusto.
    Human Test Dummy

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    .... So what have you been procrastinating about.
    Hopefully I can get around to answering that later today or tomorrow

Painting, if I have to say...Loathe it!

I can relate to your friend Don, I have a mouth full of bad teeth, yet I keep putting the trip off due to no insurance/job. Lately, I keep telling myself its the best diet plan I've ever been on . Hope things go well for him!

A few years ago I decided to start procrastinating but never got around to it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Finishing.....I love working wood but.... Finishing is a largely unknown subject for me. I will often wait extreme amounts of time between completing the mechanics of working the wood and applying the finish.

In one case I had a turned cherry pedestal table that sat on my assemble bench for over a year waiting for me to apply a finish.....
    I can relate to that... allow me to spare you the details...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...