Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Plane Restoration Purchase

My First Plane Restoration Purchase

Just wanted to share my recent purchase w/ folks that may care (swmbo doesn't really get it)

Anyway, we "went antiquing" over the weekend and a rusty old Stanley plane followed me home. In hindsight, I over paid for it, but it will be fun to bring it back to life.

Thick layer of surface rust, but the sole is the easiest thing to fix.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04238sm.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	68373

She can still make curls, though! This actually surprised the heck out of me. Obviously somebody used and cared for this plane before the antique place got a hold of it and let it rot all to hell. I took it apart and the back of the iron wasn't polished (as is the style now) but it had obviously been worked flat. It was still sharp enough to slice notebook paper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04237sm.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	68372

It is apparently a Type-19 Stanley Bailey No. 5 that has had the brass depth adjustment wheel replaced with a plastic one. Made in the USA sometime between late 40's and 60's.

This is only my second plane, other one is an English made Stanley SB4 economy plane bought from Home Depot in the late 90's. I need a longer plane and this one fits the bill. Judging from EBay, $25 was too much, but that's ok. A new US made plane is $100 or more.

I'm not going to "restore" it; this plane will be a user. I'll sand down and stain the handles, drop everything else in the electrolysis tank, then mask and use epoxy paint for all the parts that are supposed to be black. A coat of wax and some anti-seize on a few bits and this fellow will be serviceable. I don't have any sons and my nephews are all in-laws who are closer to their blood uncles; this plane will serve me well and hopefully serve a buyer well at an estate sale in 60 years.
    Last edited by David Agnew; 06-25-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Not bad at all! Most of my planes came second-hand, and $25 may be a little high for a plane with that much rust, but it's not outrageous. It should be fairly easy to clean up. Good catch!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by David Agnew View Post
    ...In hindsight, I over paid for it...I'm not going to "restore" it; this plane will be a user. I'll sand down and stain the handles, drop everything else in the electrolysis tank, then mask and use epoxy paint for all the parts that are supposed to be black. A coat of wax and some anti-seize on a few bits and this fellow will be serviceable...
    Yeah, you over-paid by a few bucks, but not all that much. The rusted sole seems fairly decent - evenly coated, but not pitted. I'd be more concerned with rust on the blade - if the back is pitted, it might make getting an even edge a bit of a problem - but other than that, you've got a potentially pretty good user there.

Your 'reclamation' plans are pretty good. Make it a bit prettier than it is now, but mainly make it a good user. A type 19 #5 won't likely be a 'valuable' plane anytime in your lifetime, but it's one of the most-used planes in most folks 'collections.' Ya dun good!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Yeah, you over-paid by a few bucks, but not all that much. The rusted sole seems fairly decent - evenly coated, but not pitted. I'd be more concerned with rust on the blade - if the back is pitted, it might make getting an even edge a bit of a problem - but other than that, you've got a potentially pretty good user there.

Your 'reclamation' plans are pretty good. Make it a bit prettier than it is now, but mainly make it a good user. A type 19 #5 won't likely be a 'valuable' plane anytime in your lifetime, but it's one of the most-used planes in most folks 'collections.' Ya dun good!
    You can always buy a new blade from Lee Valley, and still have paid less for your plane than for a new one. My #5s are my goto planes.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I agree with Jim.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post

That was exactly my assessment. Sole's rusty, but doesn't look pitted. Back of the blade isn't pitted, nor the cutting edge. That will get sharpened up, of course.

I've never restored a plane, but am no newbie with old iron... hence I've got an electrolysis tank ready to go. My go-to machinist's vise is probably older than everyone on this board and I've got a bit of a collection of Plomb hand tools... mostly still in use.

Have I been bitten by the plane bug....... I dunno? Will probably find out later this week.

From my limited view here,it appears more likely that you have a Type 17 1942-1945 -- a WWII-era plane. These feature black-painted or stained beech handles (rather than rosewood), hard rubber adjuster wheels (rather than brass), and cad-plated one-piece fasteners for the handles rather than rods with brass screw-caps. These planes also (typically) have thicker side wall castings.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well Joe with a name like your you must know your old arn, welcome and great 1st post.

David what ever it is fix it up and use it. $25 ain;t to bad for a good shop user.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice little plane, there. Be warned though 2 leads to 10 which leads to 100, lol

I have to agree with Joe on the type of the plane. this isn't a terrible thing though given the heavier weight of the body. The rubber wheel skinks but likely workable. The iron (blade) may be on the less desirable side but again usable.

Upgrade irons are available like the LN, Veritas, Hock or Pinnacle irons for example.

Depending on what you want to do with it you could find upgrade parts for it from older original Stanley planes. Joe at joesbucketofrust.com (different Joe than above) is good for some pretty obscure OEM parts so he could likely hook ya up with a brass knob.

I've taken some of those painted knobs and totes, removed the lacquer paint, sanded, stained and finished em with pretty decent results. Granted the tote won't effect performance, but if you wanted to pretty it up a bit.

Congrats on your first Jack plane

Nice find. I've paid more than $25 for lesser planes. Then again, my best plane was free...a gift from Ken.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com