Somebody could have told me...................

Not to argue with a person with the title Professor. It appears they are not afraid to tell you that your ideas are all wrong. Of course when you tell them that maybe they are wrong, boy do blood veins pop out. Didn't help when I ask if she ever questioned anything she read or just believed it.

Live and learn.

My buddy Bruce got tossed out of one of his classes not only for arguing with the instructor but taking the next step and proving him wrong.:thumb::thumb:
That instructor had a hard year every thing he tried to teach in class Bruce would ask why? Why do we have to do it that way? We do it this way at work and it's a whole lot easier and faster to boot.:doh::doh::rofl::rofl:
He never did learn to just keep his mouth shut. Not even to this day and that class was in 1989. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Years ago when I was working as a construction inspector/administrator, I considered going to school and getting an engineering degree (so I could make more money). Knowing myself, though, I knew that I'd be arguing with my professors the whole way. Somehow, I knew in my gut that wouldn't be a good idea. :D

What started it was she told me, "you understand the material, you are just not letting me know you understand it."

Now wait a minute, if you can tell I know it, then how am I not letting you know I know it?

Probably not helping she is a Pro at Univ of Louisville.

I don't suppose she'd appreciate you wearing a t-shirt to class that says "I Understand It" in big bold letters, huh? :D

I have a shirt that says "Its not that I can't explain it, its just that you don't understand it"... goes over well in some company.

What your prof has is what we used to call "engineers disease". There is no cure and the effects are fatally annoying to everyone within hearing distance.

Try explaining to someone like this how something simple like a cob&co twitch works, they won't believe you even after you show them :rolleyes: The best way is just to note the bad info on the side and move along.. no profit here today...

What started it was she told me, "you understand the material, you are just not letting me know you understand it."

Now wait a minute, if you can tell I know it, then how am I not letting you know I know it?

Probably not helping she is a Pro at Univ of Louisville.

a good reply would be...
"I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy".

Then when your called to the Deans office, explain with...
"People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not
understanding me".

& don't ask me to explain...
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. :)

Just tell Her that only an insecure person is never wrong.......I do take exception to some of the stereotypes expressed here. My dad was a professor and exercised his discipline with great humility. He told me late in life that the more he learns the less he thinks he understands..............I worked as an engineer and always gave others, no matter how insignificant their job seemed, a listen to, and consideration for their ideas. Learned some neat things from simple people.

On the other hand, I've run into arrogant professors and engineers and always tried to figure out what entertainment value could be had at their expense. One such bully kind of engineer got real wet one day after running afoul of a water trap we set up for him. Now that was a sight to see. Soaking wet in front of all the workers whom he regularly tormented..:rofl::rofl:

Well my story is a bit weak, however I will add it to the list.

I got thrown out of Chemistry class, for the rest of the semester, in high school for making some kind of comment about liters and rabbits. All I could attend class for was exams and labs. I did (really it was an accident) explode a test tube (which was supposed to be Pyrex, but was not) of some kind of acid I was boiling. The etched wall behind me stayed that way as long as I knew about it.

I will say this, that teacher should have been in the Olympics. She was in the front of the room. I was in the back. She had me buried in baking soda before it stopped raining acid.

I often wonder how I lived long enough to grow up.

Enjoy,

JimB

But why are we only speaking of teachers? Why not add doctors, politicians, government employees, and any thing else that you can think of?

I am sure she is actually a great Prof, I was warned that when I crossed the street it could get this way. It appears some of the Prof's resent the fact that the tech guys come over and pick up a few classes to get our full blown 2 year degree.

Something in the back ground about the way the state combined the Tech schools and Community colleges.

I really want my AAS degree, but I can work around this problem.

steve i am sure you know that the A's wont be coming from this lady this year, you are gonna have to fight her or oblige her every day forward.. she will not let you off for your comments..

Unfortunately, Larry is right. It is a shame one individual considers herself [or himself] more important than the student and cannot extend respect at the very least. But that works two ways. You can try going back and apologizing for getting off on the wrong foot and pursue the 'how can I show you I know/understand the material.' At least when your grade is unfair [or even failing], you will have a position with the dean of her department to make your case. And depending on her clout with her peers, you may be labeled a smart** and even if a different professor was available for the class, you might start out with your legs in the swamp up to your ... cheeks.

From a former college teacher, FWIW.

We had the same problem with our daughter's teacher this year. Our daughter would finish her math work real fast with the right answers without showing any work and the teacher said it wasn't complete. :huh:When she would try to show her work she would get distracted and not get it done on time (although the right answers were there) and had to spend recess inside finishing it. This is in first grade...

Obviously, showing her process work is part of the assignment. BTDT. Didn't understand that the exercise was not for the purpose of coming up with the correct answer, but to show the process to getting to the right answer. I didn't like it at the time either, but it is what it is.

Steve, this may be the issue for you as well.

Steve it just shows that even a real school is the school of hard knocks..

We have a whole world of incompetent teachers and managers that got where they are because of quotas or the "peter principle" that aren't even smart enough to realize they don't have any idea they don't know what they are doing... Thank goodness most of them end up a few rungs from the top of the ladder.

You will do just fine..but might get really aggravated along the way.

I know this dont help but Steve i remind myself that some of the greatest people of our time never had formal qualifications. My hero Thomas Edison. Look up what they thought of him in school. I bet he could give the teacher a run for her money.

I admire you for your revised approach. I know were it me, i would be falling on my own sword and regret it later big time but I would leave the room singing that famous Frank Sinatra song...."I did it my way....." but i also got shown the highway..:D

We had the same problem with our daughter's teacher this year. Our daughter would finish her math work real fast with the right answers without showing any work and the teacher said it wasn't complete. :huh:When she would try to show her work she would get distracted and not get it done on time (although the right answers were there) and had to spend recess inside finishing it. This is in first grade...

There are at least two reasons teachers require students to show their work.
1. Even if the student is getting the correct answer, their process may be flawed. This will cause difficulties when the problems are more complex. It is easier to correct now than later.
2. If the student gets an incorrect answer, the teacher can see what they did wrong and help them correct it. Otherwise, they would just keep repeating the same incorrect process over and over.

Ike