Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody could have told me...................

Somebody could have told me...................

Not to argue with a person with the title Professor. It appears they are not afraid to tell you that your ideas are all wrong. Of course when you tell them that maybe they are wrong, boy do blood veins pop out. Didn't help when I ask if she ever questioned anything she read or just believed it.

Live and learn.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

My buddy Bruce got tossed out of one of his classes not only for arguing with the instructor but taking the next step and proving him wrong.
    That instructor had a hard year every thing he tried to teach in class Bruce would ask why? Why do we have to do it that way? We do it this way at work and it's a whole lot easier and faster to boot.
    He never did learn to just keep his mouth shut. Not even to this day and that class was in 1989.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Years ago when I was working as a construction inspector/administrator, I considered going to school and getting an engineering degree (so I could make more money). Knowing myself, though, I knew that I'd be arguing with my professors the whole way. Somehow, I knew in my gut that wouldn't be a good idea.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Did the same thing. Had to drop the class and retake it the following semester.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

ďWe all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.Ē - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Kinda like being married...First you say I do.......then you learn YES DEAR...easy as pie.

What started it was she told me, "you understand the material, you are just not letting me know you understand it."

Now wait a minute, if you can tell I know it, then how am I not letting you know I know it?

Probably not helping she is a Pro at Univ of Louisville.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    What started it was she told me, "you understand the material, you are just not letting me know you understand it." ...
    I don't suppose she'd appreciate you wearing a t-shirt to class that says "I Understand It" in big bold letters, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I don't suppose she'd appreciate you wearing a t-shirt to class that says "I Understand It" in big bold letters, huh?
    I have a shirt that says "Its not that I can't explain it, its just that you don't understand it"... goes over well in some company.

What your prof has is what we used to call "engineers disease". There is no cure and the effects are fatally annoying to everyone within hearing distance.

Try explaining to someone like this how something simple like a cob&co twitch works, they won't believe you even after you show them The best way is just to note the bad info on the side and move along.. no profit here today...

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    What started it was she told me, "you understand the material, you are just not letting me know you understand it."

Now wait a minute, if you can tell I know it, then how am I not letting you know I know it?

Probably not helping she is a Pro at Univ of Louisville.
    a good reply would be...
    "I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy".

Then when your called to the Deans office, explain with...
    "People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not
    understanding me".

& don't ask me to explain...
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Just tell Her that only an insecure person is never wrong.......I do take exception to some of the stereotypes expressed here. My dad was a professor and exercised his discipline with great humility. He told me late in life that the more he learns the less he thinks he understands..............I worked as an engineer and always gave others, no matter how insignificant their job seemed, a listen to, and consideration for their ideas. Learned some neat things from simple people.

On the other hand, I've run into arrogant professors and engineers and always tried to figure out what entertainment value could be had at their expense. One such bully kind of engineer got real wet one day after running afoul of a water trap we set up for him. Now that was a sight to see. Soaking wet in front of all the workers whom he regularly tormented..
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)