Somebody could have told me...................

Obviously, showing her process work is part of the assignment. BTDT. Didn't understand that the exercise was not for the purpose of coming up with the correct answer, but to show the process to getting to the right answer. I didn't like it at the time either, but it is what it is.

Steve, this may be the issue for you as well.

My math teacher in high school always required that you show the steps to arrive at the answer... even if the answer was wrong, if all the steps were there you got credit for problem... his philosophy was if you could do the steps, the right answer would naturally follow.

There are at least two reasons teachers require students to show their work.
1. Even if the student is getting the correct answer, their process may be flawed. This will cause difficulties when the problems are more complex. It is easier to correct now than later.
2. If the student gets an incorrect answer, the teacher can see what they did wrong and help them correct it. Otherwise, they would just keep repeating the same incorrect process over and over.

Ike

My dad never finish school... he and a teacher had an altercation when he was in the 8th grade and he quit... I took a couple of algebra problems to him, he could tell me the answer, but couldn't help me with the steps.

Ike very good points and they dont just apply to teaching math or school.
This is the same fundamental reason why in business you should have written procedures for a process. Then when things go wrong you can examine the root cause and tweak the process.:)
Its also the best way to ensure others that come behind follow the same process.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2