Enjoy this idea

I'm no turner but that technique looks quite scary to me. It must generate a lot of vibration on the lathe. THe idea is great though, the use of urethane foam to hold the piece and make the sides of the box(jig) slanted so it can be reused is great.

NOT a beginner's technique eh :D

Quite the lathe he has, and he has some serious skills too. It is often these guys that push the limits that make the really unique stuff, I applaud his ingenuity!

Very cool. The Steinert Maximo is one hoss of a lathe, so I doubt vibration was much of an issue. (Notice he's turning off the side of the lathe. That'd send most other lathes into a frenzy.) I also like the idea of using the foam as a chuck. I do think I'd want to be wearing a bit more face protection, though.

Very cool. The Steinert Maximo is one hoss of a lathe, so I doubt vibration was much of an issue. (Notice he's turning off the side of the lathe. That'd send most other lathes into a frenzy.) I also like the idea of using the foam as a chuck. I do think I'd want to be wearing a bit more face protection, though.

That's for sure... My little 1442 will turn outboard to the side and even though it's weighted with about 200 lbs of sand and I also added a cabinet of drawers under the ways to hold chucks, tools, etc... it still will dance a little when I put something outboard that's out of balance.... and I CERTAINLY would have more face protectiion --- been there done that!