Thread: Interesting box from Morocco

Interesting box from Morocco

I'm just back from a bussines trip to Casablanca (Morocco) where I had the chance of visiting the Medina ( sort of open air market) and I bought this box that I believe could be of interest to some of you.
    The wood is either cedar or Tuya wood, with some burl as well, I asked several people and each of them was telling me a different wood kind so I leave it to those who are experienced than me in identifying wood.

Craftmanship is rather crude,but for 18$ it makes a nice present. The top gap is excessive and the sanding of not exposed areas is deficient for our standards but it sells well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box01.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	68385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box05.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	68389
    The box is opened by rotating the lid clockwise, and the small drawers or compartments pop outside. To close it turn the lid counterclockwise.
    I have a video but I can't figure out how to upload it without having an URL. Maybe any of you can help me with that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box03.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	68392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	68393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box08.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	68384

The trick is achieved by a pin on the base that runs on a slot on each compartment. The pin is aligned with the end or hinge of the cross shaped central divider.
    I hope I have explained it well. I can see this idea applied to many projects from boxes to folding tables and more. It is up to you.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks for showing this, Toni. Very interesting. You are right about the construction and finish being somewhat crude (something I am known for).
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Thanks for showing this, Toni. Very interesting. You are right about the construction and finish being somewhat crude (something I am known for).
    Mohammad, having seen your work and held it in my hands, I think that your knowledge of english lacks positive vocabulary if I may say so. ( no offence intended)
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

i can help with the burl, as i have some of it at home, it is a wood called thuya. i've tried to use it for making pens.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Toni,

That is an interesting box. It is not the least bit practical. However, it is a lot of fun and would be an interesting conversation piece in a home...However, not interesting enough to bother to try and make one.

I enjoyed the pics,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I like it. Very interesting design. Almost a puzzle box of sorts...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i can help with the burl, as i have some of it at home, it is a wood called thuya. i've tried to use it for making pens.
    Thanks Dan, it seems that it is rather common there. Dunno...
    Best regards,
    Toni

@Jim, I disagree with its use. I think in a part of the world where one would put various spices and salt in little containers and put them on a table and people take a pinch and sprinkle on their food it would have a lot of use. Its not our version of hygene but it could work that way. At least thats how i see it.

Nice box Toni and price was right for the quick buy.

Whats the fruit you looking to pack in that part of the world ? Oranges???
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    @Jim, I disagree with its use. I think in a part of the world where one would put various spices and salt in little containers and put them on a table and people take a pinch and sprinkle on their food it would have a lot of use. Its not our version of hygene but it could work that way. At least thats how i see it.

Whats the fruit you looking to pack in that part of the world ? Oranges???
    Not quite Rob, its use is more intended towards being used as a jewelry box where you put your rings on one compartment, earrings on another and so forth. Your guess was too much on the exotic side .

As per the fruits that they pack or produce are mainly, melons, water melons, dates, and oranges.
    Best regards,
    Toni