Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jakes's Chairs (was Hemlock vs Pine)

Jakes's Chairs (was Hemlock vs Pine)

Hey gang, I'm thinking a little bit 'ahead' here... I saw a sign at a local lumber yard that they had Hemlock in 4/4 and 5/4 available. I've used it before, but not for outdoor use. I'm planning on making a set of Jake's Chair adirondack style chairs, and they will be painted. Think Hemlock would hold up with a couple of coats of paint on them? I'd love to use Cypress, but at $4 a bf locally, no way that's in the budget right now. The Hemlock would probably run me about half that, if not less.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 07-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    -Ned

the price is very attractive, often around 1.00 a bf or less, but its not for outdoor furniture. warps bad, and from what Im told, it will rot fast also.
    a guy I was going to buy it from a while back told me not to waste time painting it, it doesnt take paint well either.
    (I never purchased any.)

Im sure you can secure white oak around 2.00 a bf, that makes a great looking chair.

I know in western NY, larch is available, and that will never rot, and its really cheap stuff, like 1.00 a bf.

If you are making any more runs I think I have enough white oak to make a couple of chairs, we can trade, you seem like you have a decent size stash.
    Human Test Dummy

I don't know what it's like where your at Ned, but could you look for a local small sawmill guy. I've been selling flatsawn white oak for a buck a foot air dried. If you where only closer I'd hook you up!

sorry ned, been straightening out the lumber, and I dont have enough white oak in that pile to make one chair.
    Human Test Dummy

Ned, DO NOT use hemlock for chairs. DO NOT.
    I did. It carries micro splinters you can't see.
    I ended up burning the chairs.
    I can direct you to a sawyer who carries larch for about $.50 a bd ft, but I'm afraid it would likely feel the same, it has a very rough surface.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    the price is very attractive, often around 1.00 a bf or less, but its not for outdoor furniture. warps bad, and from what Im told, it will rot fast also.
    a guy I was going to buy it from a while back told me not to waste time painting it, it doesnt take paint well either.
    (I never purchased any.)

Im sure you can secure white oak around 2.00 a bf, that makes a great looking chair.

I know in western NY, larch is available, and that will never rot, and its really cheap stuff, like 1.00 a bf.

If you are making any more runs I think I have enough white oak to make a couple of chairs, we can trade, you seem like you have a decent size stash.
    Thanks Allen, I'm rethinking the whole hemlock thing for now...

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I don't know what it's like where your at Ned, but could you look for a local small sawmill guy. I've been selling flatsawn white oak for a buck a foot air dried. If you where only closer I'd hook you up!
    John, I was going with a 'larger' local mill, but may wind up going another route. Yeah, TN to NY takes all the fun out of buying lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    sorry ned, been straightening out the lumber, and I dont have enough white oak in that pile to make one chair.
    going to have to drop back 10 yards and punt.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Ned, DO NOT use hemlock for chairs. DO NOT.
    I did. It carries micro splinters you can't see.
    I ended up burning the chairs.
    I can direct you to a sawyer who carries larch for about $.50 a bd ft, but I'm afraid it would likely feel the same, it has a very rough surface.
    Ken,
    I take I should NOT use hemlock? Gotcha. Going to just save up for some cypress, or I might just do what I did when I made my first 'Norm' chairs... and use painted pine.
    -Ned

theres an option for free wood.

I glance at craigslist free, or materials now and then, and find people wanting to get someone to dismantle an old deck in exchange for the lumber.
    Theres always a chance someone will have a redwood deck, cleaned and planed to 3/4, you could score alot of wood for a little work.
    Just an idea Im tossing out there. You got some young healthy strong kids, couldnt hurt to help their old dad.
    Human Test Dummy

ditto on the splinters with Hemlock. Not nice wood to work with in that department. It is good for construction grade as long as you are willing to saw out the wind splints. It has been used for barn siding and will last for better than 100 years as long as the water can run off of it. If it stays wet for long it will rot quick.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

well I picked up the pine lumber the other day, dropping $45 on 10 4/4 10' long rough cut pine at a measely 65c/bf.

I've started planing them down to thickness and will be working on building myself a set of Jake's Chairs over the next few days. If I like them, and funds improve work-wise, I'll be making more out of Cypress later on. THese prototypes will get painted and should serve for 'yard chairs' for at least this summer, if not longer.
    -Ned

man it's hot out there...

taking a break, might as well update with some action shots.

here's how I set up my planer... I use the TS as a stack point for the workpieces

Nice fluffy shavings... my shop smelled Wonderful! (if you like domestic conifer that is)

they're at just a shade under 4/4 finished thickness... I need to do a bunch more... think I'm going to drag the planer out of the shop and plane into a box outside... I just about filled my trash can with shavings. (forgot how much mess that thing made...)
    -Ned